Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Whip Ass Gaming Forums!

You're currently viewing the forums as a guest. The only limitation on guests, here at WAG Forums, is that you simply cannot contribute posts/pics/whatever. You can view all forums, all pics, all member profiles, everything. If you're just here to lurk, feel free continuing to do so...there is no reason to sign up for an account. However, if you would like to contribute then go ahead and start the registration process!

Join our community!

NOTE: I have no idea why the board defaults to centering everything when you're lurking/not logged in. Once logged in, it aligns everything to the left(as it should be).

If you're already a member...log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Starfighter!
Topic Started: May 23 2008, 10:26 AM (392 Views)
sheath
Member Avatar
I have been, and remain, non-sequitur
I received Starfighter in the mail just now and I am absolutely shocked. The Saturn and PS1 versions both had to resort to fog effects to handle the game, and the 3DO version has none! I can fly all the way into space and look down on the planet without a hint of fog! The game handles the graphics somewhat differently, some objects pop in like hills or buildings, but the ground is always visible no matter the distance.

The Saturn version was released completely unfinished as flying into "space" resulted in finding nothing but a grey screen for your ship to fly on, and never being able to fly back to the planet's surface. The PS1 version had you fly through a layer of fog to get into stars. But the 3DO game just graduates the sky from blue or black to stars as you fly further away from the planet.

This game is awesome, and I never would have dreamed the PS1 version was inferior to such a dramatic degree. Since I can't find any decent videos online I'll try to get some up of each version as soon as I can locate the discs for the PS1 and Saturn versions.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Buy the games of yore before they are no more
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Belpowerslave
Member Avatar
Administrator
Sounds like the difference between a game that was made from the ground up to run on the 3DO hardware, and then one that was simply ported(quite badly) to other platforms. Seems like a lot of the 3DO ports went like that.

Bel
Whip Ass Gaming

sheath
Member Avatar
Just wait until I get ahold of the PS1 version of Starfighter and get some videos online. The main issue is that the PS1 isn't supposed to be the same generation as the 3DO and I keep finding games that run better on the 3DO. If the PS1 was what Sony and Sony fans claimed, 3DO games should have been able to run in emulation, ported without optimization and run better, etc.

The presence of full screen dithering in these 3DO ports to PS1, and especially a game that had to be fundamentally changed to work on the PS1, really throws the whole "PS1 is a 3D powerhouse" in question. Optimized or not, if a system is genuinely 10X as powerful as another, ported games turn out at least as well as the original.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Posted Image

Belpowerslave
Member Avatar
Administrator
Quote:

Just wait until I get ahold of the PS1 version of Starfighter and get some videos online.  The main issue is that the PS1 isn't supposed to be the same generation as the 3DO and I keep finding games that run better on the 3DO.  If the PS1 was what Sony and Sony fans claimed, 3DO games should have been able to run in emulation, ported without optimization and run better, etc. 

Well, we all know that the hype over the PSX was bullshit...so realistically, the PSX's processor wasn't anywhere powerful enough to actually run *any* 3DO app via emulation. That's something you'd almost need the Xbox to do...

Quote:

The presence of full screen dithering in these 3DO ports to PS1, and especially a game that had to be fundamentally changed to work on the PS1, really throws the whole "PS1 is a 3D powerhouse" in question.  Optimized or not, if a system is genuinely 10X as powerful as another, ported games turn out at least as well as the original.

I agree, don't get me wrong, I just never believed that the PSX was as powerful as they(Sony, the media, etc) claimed it to be.

I still think that if they re-did Starforce on the PSX towards the middle or end of its lifespan that it would have come off a lot better. The PSX hardware was just so new, I'm sure that when CD ported it they were just pulling stuff out of their ass to get it on the market. I mean, really, how many 3DO ports came off decently...at all? Gex is about the only one I can think of...and that's just because it was 2D. ;)

I wish I could give the 3DO any credit what-so-ever, but I just can't. I mean, every game just seemed to have so many issues, 2D or 3D. To me, it seemed like a stop gap between the 32X and the Saturn/PSX. It had power, just not enough.

If I could get the fucking controller working in FreeDO, I'd love to put some real time in with some of these titles, just for kicks, but sadly it doesn't even remotely work.

Speaking of, anyone know of a decent Jaquar emulator?

Bel
Whip Ass Gaming

sheath
Member Avatar
Quote:

Well, we all know that the hype over the PSX was bullshit...so realistically, the PSX's processor wasn't anywhere powerful enough to actually run *any* 3DO app via emulation. That's something you'd almost need the Xbox to do...

Well sure. I'm just trying to approach these comparisons as objectively as possible.

Quote:

I agree, don't get me wrong, I just never believed that the PSX was as powerful as they(Sony, the media, etc) claimed it to be.

I still think that if they re-did Starforce on the PSX towards the middle or end of its lifespan that it would have come off a lot better. The PSX hardware was just so new, I'm sure that when CD ported it they were just pulling stuff out of their ass to get it on the market. I mean, really, how many 3DO ports came off decently...at all? Gex is about the only one I can think of...and that's just because it was 2D. ;)

I wish I could give the 3DO any credit what-so-ever, but I just can't. I mean, every game just seemed to have so many issues, 2D or 3D. To me, it seemed like a stop gap between the 32X and the Saturn/PSX. It had power, just not enough.

If I could get the fucking controller working in FreeDO, I'd love to put some real time in with some of these titles, just for kicks, but sadly it doesn't even remotely work.

Speaking of, anyone know of a decent Jaquar emulator?

Bel

When I set out to do these comparison pages I decided in advance that I would only report the facts. I let go of my appreciation of the Saturn and converted the knowledge into something that was useful to others. I applied the same standard to the 3DO, and time and again the system keeps surprising me. Need for Speed isn't better, so to speak, on the 3DO as much as it is comparable and unique in some ways. Gex I have not tested on each system.

Star Fighter and Total Eclipse are flat out superior on 3DO. On both fronts if the PS1 had been what Sony claimed it to be they would have been absolutely better after the port. If there were some other game that allowed for the ship to leave the planet and then return, or if some other game on PS1 had an infinite horizon like Star Fighter has I would be looking there to see what "went wrong" in the conversion. As it stands though, the 3DO comes out looking superior in some very significant ways for 3D gaming.

These observations are completely apart from the fact that EA was already turned to the dark side when they developed the 3DO with Matsushita. If the 3DO had succeeded we would no doubt have seen what we are seeing today ten years ago. I hate EA for what they have done, and I likely would have hated the 3DO at least as much if EA had succeeded at their plans. As a simple hardware comparison, though, I can't help but be impressed that the 3DO can actually beat the Playstation in software. That is notable to say the least, and totally calls in to question the idea that the Playstation was a 3D system capable of significant things no other system was capable of at the time.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Posted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
« Previous Topic · 3DO-My-God! · Next Topic »
Add Reply