Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Whip Ass Gaming Forums!

You're currently viewing the forums as a guest. The only limitation on guests, here at WAG Forums, is that you simply cannot contribute posts/pics/whatever. You can view all forums, all pics, all member profiles, everything. If you're just here to lurk, feel free continuing to do so...there is no reason to sign up for an account. However, if you would like to contribute then go ahead and start the registration process!

Join our community!

NOTE: I have no idea why the board defaults to centering everything when you're lurking/not logged in. Once logged in, it aligns everything to the left(as it should be).

If you're already a member...log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
360 hardware fiasco
Topic Started: Jun 12 2008, 09:39 PM (1,314 Views)
Belpowerslave
Member Avatar
Administrator
http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/playback/playback-92/1376452

60 fucking percent! Man, it's almost like a plague! I truly find it to be a small miracle that mine hasn't fucked up...especially when you figure everything that I've done to it(I still need to post that story, complete with pics. You will all bow down to my SUPER Xbox 360 when you hear it).

Bel
Whip Ass Gaming
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

sheath
Member Avatar
I have been, and remain, non-sequitur
Informal C-Net "survey" equals a freaking internet poll. This is a tabloid. I posted earlier an official Industry survey said 20% including 3RL, 11% without it. What disgusts me the most about this is that no such press has ever been given to the freaking huge defect rate of all Playstation consoles and reiterations.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Buy the games of yore before they are no more
Posted Image

benstylus
Member Avatar
Taster's Choice
I dunno, I saw a lot of press about the PS2's high failure rate and DRE errors, particularly when Sony got hit with (and lost) a class action lawsuit for shoddy hardware.

I think the PS1 didn't get nearly so much coverage because online 'journalism' wasn't nearly as widespread as it is today.
Electronic Arts - We put the 'suc' in success!

sheath
Member Avatar
The PS2's DRE issue was hardly publicized to the degree of the 3RL error, certainly not to the extent it should have been considering the high failure rate. I don't think I've seen a single publication even infer that the PS1 ever had a defect.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Posted Image

Belpowerslave
Member Avatar
Administrator
Well, granted, a good chunk of that percentage(60%) is going to be coming from ass-fuck Sony fans who rally when an opportunity like this shows itself(let us never forget the *hit list* those little boys at Blu-Ray.com started up in an effort to attack HD DVD fans). Plus, add to it that people who have been burned by MS during this whole debacle...they'll do their best to throw as much out there as they can, no matter if it's the truth or not("My 360 has died sixteen times and the Microsoft made me pay for five of those repairs and they even started sending me original Xboxs on mistake because they didn't have any working 360s to send, etc).

The truth is that we'll *never* get an accurate count until MS releases the figure themselves...which ain't *never* gonna happen...

Bel
Whip Ass Gaming

sheath
Member Avatar
I'd say the professional poll I mentioned is as good as it gets. 12% of all defective 360s were repaired free of charge because they exhibited the 3RL error. 11.7% of all 360s have DRE errors or some other type of error. At the time of the poll the PS3 exhibited a 10% defect rate, but since Playstations tend to die between 3-4 years of life we'll just have to see if these progressive reports of Bluray drive failures bumps that up.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/report-wii-is-most-reliable-console-360-has-highest-failure-rate

Report: Wii is most reliable console; 360 has highest failure rate

The Wii is the most reliable console on the market with only 2.7 per cent of owners reporting a system failure compared to 23.7 per cent of Xbox 360 owners, according to an independent report published by warranty provider SquareTrade.

In the study, which covered just the three current-generation home consoles, the PlayStation 3 came out between its two rivals with malfunctions reported by 10 per cent of owners.

It also determined that the Xbox 360's failure rate couldn't be attributed solely to the much-publicised 'Red Ring of Death' hardware issue covered by Microsoft's three-year warranty, since 11.7 per cent of Xbox 360 owners reported different problems.

The study, conducted by the US-based independent warranty provider, randomly selected 16,000 games consoles under its SqaureTrade Warranty for analysis.

As well as looking at failure numbers, it also compared usage amounts, which concluded the PlayStation 3 was the most used of the three home consoles.

Owners used the Sony console for an average of 19.9 days over 24 months, compared to 17.6 days for Xbox 360 and just 8.6 days for Wii.

Breaking down this data into failure rate per 24 hours, the study concluded the 360 was still the least reliable with a 1.35 per cent chance of failure (0.67 per cent excluding RROD), while the PS3 came out at 0.50 per cent and the Wii 0.31 per cent.

Disc read errors and output issues were the most common reported among both PS3 and Xbox 360 owners, while the Wii had more remote control issues than the other two systems.

The report did acknowledge however that the introduction to the Xbox 360 of the Jasper chipset in late 2008 has now "likely solved" the RROD issue.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Posted Image

Belpowerslave
Member Avatar
Administrator
http://editorials.teamxbox.com/xbox/2536/Team-Talk-15-Weeks/p1

8 dead 360s in a row...even being the editor of Team Xbox, I would have called it...jeez.

Bel
Whip Ass Gaming

sheath
Member Avatar
360's mislabeled RROD is gone forever!

The so-called red ring of death, the infamous sign of a permanent hardware failure in an Xbox 360, is no more. Microsoft has elected not to include the warning feature in its new slimline version of the console.

No doubt Microsoft is hoping the 17% slimmer and cooler-running new model spells an end to the notorious fault that has seen thousands of Xbox 360s returned and replaced.

"Obviously if you look at the success rate of the original 360s, we're very proud of both the way the company stepped up to support the customers that we had as well as the success rate we have with the box today," said Microsoft Game Studiosí corporate VP Phil Spencer in an interview with IGN. "I think we've learned a lot. That learning has gone into the development of this new box.

"Now obviously, the box has a way to communicate to you if something has happened but yes, three red lights are not part of our sequence of telling somebody something is wrong."

However, while the three red lights are gone for good, the slim 360 does include a new failure notification. Gaming site Kotaku has established that the small green dot in the centre of the power button will turn, yes, red if the console encounters a fatal error.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Big, Heavy-Ass Xbox Section · Next Topic »
Add Reply