Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Whip Ass Gaming Forums!

You're currently viewing the forums as a guest. The only limitation on guests, here at WAG Forums, is that you simply cannot contribute posts/pics/whatever. You can view all forums, all pics, all member profiles, everything. If you're just here to lurk, feel free continuing to do so...there is no reason to sign up for an account. However, if you would like to contribute then go ahead and start the registration process!

Join our community!

NOTE: I have no idea why the board defaults to centering everything when you're lurking/not logged in. Once logged in, it aligns everything to the left(as it should be).

If you're already a member...log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Intel I7 Sandybridge recall?; Or good press?
Topic Started: Feb 1 2011, 12:41 PM (1,395 Views)
sheath
Member Avatar
I have been, and remain, non-sequitur
What we are seeing on other news sites is an interpretation of Intel's own press release. More and more this is looking to me like a "good press fiasco" than an actual problem.

The I7 issue, as originally stated by Intel, is that some computers might eventually develop SATA problems. I'd bet on those "some computers" eventually labeling a specific manufacturer besides Intel. As it stands, I would wait and see what the real technical problem actually is.

Does anybody have any facts that don't originate from Intel?
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Buy the games of yore before they are no more
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Belpowerslave
Member Avatar
Administrator
I honesty don't believe that *anyone* can afford an i7 to actually find out anything further. ;)

Bel
Whip Ass Gaming

sheath
Member Avatar
Yeah, I just helped a friend build a machine with one over the phone. Then he saw the report on Fox News and called me about it today. ;)
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Posted Image

sheath
Member Avatar
Well, since we are all a bunch of cheapos I had to resort to another forum for info.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/682006.aspx

It looks like Intel will be recalling and replacing both the CPUs and the Motherboards that supported sandybridge I7s ... sometime in April.
Nope, they are just replacing the motherboards, as only the Sata II ports are going bad. Also, one can just stick to the 6gbps ports or install a PCI SATA card as a solution. Hopefully nothing else on the sandybridge bus is going to break later.

It looks like Intel responded so quickly because of the definite data loss problem.
Edited by sheath, Feb 3 2011, 02:49 PM.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Posted Image

Belpowerslave
Member Avatar
Administrator
Well, I don't know about Cheapos...I mean, you're asking about Intel stuff on a forum that is almost 99.9% AMD. It's myself...and Wang who actually own Intel-based computers, but even then Wang will sit there and chew your ear off with how much better any given newer AMD chip is vs anything Intel has put out. I just don't see it...but that really is *just* me.

To me, the i7 is just so fucking powerful that motherboards just weren't ready to handle it. I think Intel pushed them out without getting a good test of what would happen after some hard usage(kind of like MS and the 360). This is why I never run out and buy the latest technology the day it comes out(or anywhere close to that). Give me something that's been around for a while, that's been tested and we know works well. Now, with that said, if someone offered me an i7 at an affordable price, I'd take that shit quick...but at the current price, I'll pass(then again, I'd pass on anything at that price). ;)

Bel
Whip Ass Gaming

sheath
Member Avatar
I've always found that above $80-$100 per component the price/performance ratio becomes unfavorable. From $50 to $100 I can always find double or even triple the performance increase for double the price. Above that the increase in performance (RAM speed, bus speed, CPU benchmarks, GPU benchmarks, et al) starts dropping from 25% increases to less than 10%.

When I build a system I consider the relevant Intel and AMD chips as equals and then look at everything else. Intel always wants me to pay up to double for essentially the same system. I've only seen an Intel based system worthwhile if the software the client needs requires it. Otherwise I end up building AMD systems every time. They frequently run cooler, they are cheaper, and for all intents and purposes they are identical or superior in performance.

Of course this is all building it myself, sometimes proprietary computers can be cheaper than I can build the same system. Back in the Pentium 4 days it looked like Dell and some other manufacturers could sell an Intel system for about the cost of building a comparable AMD system from scratch. Then of course Intel's monopolistic tactics all but eliminated proprietary AMD systems for a while, so I haven't done a comparison in a couple of years.

I can build a quad core AMD system today for $700 with 8GB of RAM and a top tier Video card. My friend's I7 quad core system was $1000 without a video card or a PSU (he reused an older one), so add at least $200 for a total of $1200. Both the I7 and the Athlon II X4 are 95 watts, but the I7 was 3.4 Ghz to the Athlon II's 3.0 Ghz. The I7 system had a 32nm process and the X4 had a 45nm process. Both system's RAM was DDR3 clocked at 1333Mhz. The I7 chip alone cost $330 and the Athlon II cost $100.

I seriously doubt the I7 is anywhere near twice as powerful, much less 3.5x.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Posted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · Dirt-Cheap PC Gaming · Next Topic »
Add Reply