Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Whip Ass Gaming Forums!

You're currently viewing the forums as a guest. The only limitation on guests, here at WAG Forums, is that you simply cannot contribute posts/pics/whatever. You can view all forums, all pics, all member profiles, everything. If you're just here to lurk, feel free continuing to do so...there is no reason to sign up for an account. However, if you would like to contribute then go ahead and start the registration process!

Join our community!

NOTE: I have no idea why the board defaults to centering everything when you're lurking/not logged in. Once logged in, it aligns everything to the left(as it should be).

If you're already a member...log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
N64 Everdrive is on its way
Topic Started: Apr 15 2011, 01:48 PM (1,444 Views)
sheath
Member Avatar
I have been, and remain, non-sequitur
Krikkz is working on getting out the N64 Everdrive next. Looks like I might be in the market for a $20 N64 sometime soon.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Buy the games of yore before they are no more
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

sheath
Member Avatar
Okay, so I've had it and my N64 hooked up for about two months and have yet to find a game outside of Mario Kart that I actually want to play. It doesn't help that my TV doesn't accept S-Video so I have to downgrade to Composite, but the games just seem really shallow so far. I really tried to get into some racers, but even for Arcade style games Cruisin' USA is antiquated, Virtua Racing on Genesis plays better.

I'm going to try the single player missions on Golden Eye, hopefully that will satisfy as I can still play Powerslave and Quake on Saturn no problem.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Posted Image

Belpowerslave
Member Avatar
Administrator
Ugh, I would stay far, far way from S-Video when it comes to the N64. If you think it looks bad now, wait until you see the jagged-ness S-Video brings to the blurry graphics. It's a bad, bad combination.

As for the games, there's quite a few out there I would recommend...but then, they also may be something that only I would like. Here's just a few to get you started:

Beetle Adventure Racing
San Francisco Rush
F-Zero
The later Crusin' series may be more to your liking
California Speed
Mickey's Speedway USA
Lamborgini-something(it's really, really good, believe it or not)
Duke Nukem: Zero Hour

I would watch out for GoldenEye...that thing looks like ass on an HDTV, even with 16:9 turned on. I couldn't believe it...

Bel
Whip Ass Gaming

sheath
Member Avatar
With Goldeneye I wouldn't be worried about the graphics as the gameplay, since it has been hyped to no end for its gameplay. I am pretty sure it is Turok with more cinematics, and that isn't my bag.

The rest of these games are definitely on my list of most interesting titles. I just need to spend more time with them. That seems to be happening to me across the board though, I just can't seem to stay interested in most games for very long.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Posted Image

Belpowerslave
Member Avatar
Administrator
Speaking of GoldenEye, man that new one on 360/PS3, the demo at least, was fucking awesome! I loved Quantum of Solace to no-end, and this one looks to be of the same quality. Would love to pick it up, but was hoping it was going to hip PC at some point so I wouldn't have to attempt the controller...

Bel
Whip Ass Gaming

Belpowerslave
Member Avatar
Administrator
I haven't gotten to play with my N64 ED very much...and haven't kept up with the updates...has he put out anything worth upgrading the firmware to?

Bel
Whip Ass Gaming

sheath
Member Avatar
I'm not aware of what changes were made with OS updates, I'm not even sure if there has been a firmware update. I guess they might be adding support for certain carts with different lock out chips but I haven't even used the thing since I bought it. I pretty much only have it to record videos when/if I ever get the motivation back to make a bunch of cross platform comparison vids while avoiding the stupid high N64 game prices.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Posted Image

Belpowerslave
Member Avatar
Administrator
After moving, I've finally dug out the N64 and thought I'd try out the ED64 a bit. So far, it's pretty hip...but I tried updating to the most recent OS for our version(I'm assuming we have v1, not v2?) which was 1.29, and after doing so nothing loads. Thank God I backed up what you had originally on there(1.11, I think) and everything is back to normal. That new OS looks nice, and supposedly it will even let you transfer your CPak files to the SD card, but I could never get it to work....maybe I can dig around on the forums and see if I can come across anything...

Bel
Whip Ass Gaming

sheath
Member Avatar
I have seen griped about updates and whatnot with the everdrives but never tried to update te everdrive 64 myself. I haven't had to for any game so far. The biggest issue I have run into is that the SNES everdrive can't run SFX chipped ROMs. FPGA emulation doesn't seem to be coming along as anticipated either, and I don't expect it to on any everdrive with FPGA until I am told otherwise.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Posted Image

Belpowerslave
Member Avatar
Administrator
About the only thing anyone suggests is to upgrade the firmware...but, I think, you have to actually send that to Krizz to do it unless you have the USB plug built in. I just don't know that I care enough about N64 games to do this. So far, it runs every rom I've thrown at it...the updated menu was nice, as well as the possibility of transferring saves from the Memory Pak and back, but I can live with it as is. About all I can stand playing on the N64 are racing games...and I really do enjoy them, enough to get a racing wheel for it.

How many versions of the EverDrive do you have? I'd like to get the Game Gear version at some point and probably Mega Drive version...if I ever got a SNES unit, I wouldn't mind getting one for that.

Bel
Whip Ass Gaming

sheath
Member Avatar
I think it takes a Jtag cable to connect it to a PC and update it. I bought one to update my SNES Everdrive and have a spare (different PC interface, serial I think) if you want it. I haven't run into any N64 games I couldn't play yet either. The updates are probably more for emulators and FPGA software than anything else now.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Posted Image

Belpowerslave
Member Avatar
Administrator
Yeah, I don't think I'll mess with it...it's just one version off the most recent firmware anyway, and as he's dropped OS support for our version of the ED64, it's not likely we'll see any further firmware versions either.

In terms of roms running, the only thing I ever read about are Donkey Kong 64 and Jet Force Gemini having issues, but apparently you can just patch them. Honestly, the framerate hurts my eyes on DK64 and I can't imagine it being all that stellar on JFG, so I can live without either.

One thing that really sucks is that when I left Texas I had to eventually ditch that sweet-ass 36" Panasonic SDTV...so the only thing I can hook the N64 up to is a 48" LED HDTV. Talk about a shock to the system...man, it looks *awful*. I need to get another SDTV, but just something a little more managble(that 36" was so unbelievably fucking heavy and just plain large...still, it was only $25 at Salvation Army). Maybe I can get a decent 27 to 32 inch down the line....

Bel
Whip Ass Gaming

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
« Previous Topic · Nintendon't · Next Topic »
Add Reply