Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

The shoutbox is not for support.

Welcome to American Trainz Group, Bringing quality American content to Trainz. We hope you enjoy the ride!!!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls.

Register Now!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Railroad News
Topic Started: 3 Oct 2012, 08:42 (546 Views)
PerRock
Member Avatar
The Professor
So this thread is for little railroad news 'snippets' that seem a bit interesting but don't really need their own thread.

peter
DO NOT PM ME FOR SUPPORT. Please use our support forum.

Posted Image

"Good Tea. Nice House." -Worf
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PerRock
Member Avatar
The Professor
Posted Image
Quote:

The California Transportation Commission has voted to release $39.8 million in allocations toward work to advance the Caltrain Modernization Program and prepare the rail corridor, which connects San Francisco with San Jose and Gilroy, for a future “blended” system with California High Speed Rail.

Posted Image
Quote:

Dallas Area Rapid Transit is expected to select Brookville Equipment Corp. to provide two modern streetcars for the proposed Oak Cliff streetcar project. DART's Board of Directors may make the decision sometime this month. Preliminary approval by a DART oversight committee for a contract totaling about $9.4 million may occur this week.

Quote:

VIA Rail Canada said Wednesday it has initiated "a new electronic ticketing service enabling passengers to access their tickets and information anywhere and any time from their personal electronic device, allowing rail users to avoid any pre-boarding lines and travel stress-free.

These news briefs are brought to you by Railway Age

peter

Posted Image

PerRock
Member Avatar
The Professor
I'll start a new thread for these, once there is actually some work being done on them.

But there is an RFP (Request for Proposal) out for 35 "Next Generation" diesel locomotives. These will run Amtrak's corridor trains. The RFP is a multi-state job with IL, CA, and WA all participating. Since the RFP went out there have been three responses. Here are some stats:

Next Generation Locomotives
OfferorBase (32) CostOptional (+3) CostLife-cycle cost
EMD260,029,98825,945,435.5056.75
Siemens225,509,79724,834,292.0046.69
MPI260,909,74827,999,759.6758.42

To date only IDOT has completed their recommendations.
Quote:

Based on the Total Scores shown [in the document], the Evaluation Committee recommends award to
Siemens Industry, Inc. as the apparent awardee for the Multi-State Locomotive Procurement.

IDOT RFP Evaluation Report

------
Peter's Comments;

Based off from Siemens history over in Europe and the fact that the ACS-64 is based off from the ES-64 & Vectron platforms; I would not be surprised if the new locomotive looked very similar to the ACS-64 only diesel. Which would begin to give Amtrak a somewhat consistent look to their fleet.

Siemens is also the top contender (from down the rumor mill) for the new Acela II train sets. If Siemens gets that bid as well, the Acela IIs would be based off from the Velaro family of HS trains (ICE-3).

If Siemens gets the contract it is good news for Sacramento, as (again rumor has it) Siemens will probably be expanding their facility.

peter

Posted Image

PerRock
Member Avatar
The Professor
California & Midwest states to get Brightline-type cars.

Due to failures in the bi-level cars to be built by NS-S, the states have agreed to buy single-level cars built by Siemens instead, these cars will be the same, or very similar to the Brightline cars.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/paffairs/pr/2017/prs/17pr117.html

Posted Image

PerRock
Member Avatar
The Professor
CalTrans & Siemens release renders of new Single-Level fleet for Amtrak California. The car design will be the same for the Midwest, with just different colors & paint scheme.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/transprog/ctcbooks/2017/1217/Presentations/Tab52_Single_level_Railcar.pdf

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply