Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Greg and Dave's Big, Bad, Bombastic Score Thread; Academy Members Not Allowed!
Topic Started: Mar 5 2011, 07:06 PM (1,804 Views)
TheGreg
Administrator
Dave and I are huge score fans. So why not have a dedicated place to post our random thoughts on the music of film, TV and video games?

Because no one cares is not a good enough reason!

Feel free to join in!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TheGreg
Administrator
Listened to City of Ember the other day. The final act is wall to wall brilliant scoring from composer Andrew Lockington.

Lockington broke onto the scene in 2008 with his fantastic scores to Journey to the Center of the Earth and the aforementioned Ember. Since then he has scored no major motion pictures.

Why in the hell has no one hired this guy?!

Edited by TheGreg, Mar 5 2011, 07:34 PM.

David

Andrew Lockington is a great person to start with. He seems to be doing some independent work recently, which is a shame since he obviously has some talent.

Worthy of note is Lockington's orchestrator/conductor is Nicholas Dodd, known for working with David Arnold in the same positions.

http://www.andrewlockington.com/?p=525
Great video of the recording sessions of Journey....

NEXT COMPOSER TO DISCUSS:
Posted Image

TheGreg
Administrator
I'll admit that you are far superior in your knowledge of Mr. Michael Kamen.

His franchise work on Die Hard and Lethal Weapon is notable, but my favorite Kamen cue of all time?

David

Ah, that Robin Hood is swweeeeeeet. Michael K-Men has some good achievements under his belt. His 80s/90s action model is extremely hard to replicate. Even his Bond score worked nicely.

He seems to have lots of great cues in the overall okay scores. See X-Men, Band of Brothers, Brazil, Mr Holland's Opus.

While not his best work (and somewhat Private Ryan inspired), I hear this and think Kamen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uTAIpU0sa0

David

I forgot to choose a new composer....so the next topic is the I Like Him, So Back Off Already.

I'm speaking of course about Posted Image

Discuss.

TheGreg
Administrator
I've been pretty critical of Thomas Newman in the past, but there is no denying that he is a very effective composer.

I don't enjoy listening to any of his scores outside of the films, but when his scores work, they definitely enhance the picture they are attached to. His music for Shawshank, Nemo, Cinderella Man, Road to Perdition and American Beauty all fall into this category.

Lemony Snicket's was a pretty cool change of pace for him and Little Women has a good theme from what I can remember.

His best scores have a great texture that can really draw you into a story, and for that he is indeed a good composer.

I just don't find his work very interesting from a purely musical perspective.

I'll expect your letter bombs in the mail.

TheGreg
Administrator
And for a quick bit of news-

John Williams is set to begin scoring Steven Spielberg's War Horse, after which he will go back and finish scoring Steven Spielberg's Tintin adaptation.

Williams hasn't scored a film since 2008's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and now we'll get two new scores in rapid succession. Glorious!

David

As for Thomas Newman, I agree with everything you said. Many of his scores are not album scores, but can be enjoyed more once you know the use in the score. The Shawshank theme is becoming one of the more recognizable themes of the past years. He has been using the same collaborators for most of his work--giving him that indistinguishable Thomas Newman sound.

Many times you want a film composer for their style...and I'm not sure why Newman scored The Adjustment Bureau. I gave a listen to the score and it's obviously not the type of score he writes often. I wonder how his 'action' cues worked in the movie.

Three favorite Newman cues:
Shawshank Redemption: So Was Red
Meet Joe Black: That Next Place (never seen the movie but it's a gorgeous track)
Finding Nemo: Little Clownfish from the Reef ----the sound drops. Great use of music. http://youtu.be/Fph_6pLUpek

I'm glad we've had some word on War Horse/Tintin. I hope War Horse is similar to the more quiet 80s/90s movies he wrote. It play it is based on sounds very Empire of the Sun/Munich. Tintin on the other hand, better be some bombastic JW action! I bet it will be like his lighter Last Crusade/Harry Potter scores.

TheGreg
Administrator
Good thoughts on T. Newman.

Before we discuss a new composer, have you heard about the score to Space Battleship Yamato? Here's info on the film, which is an adaptation of some Anime or something.

Anyway, the score (Composed by Naoki Sato) is phenomenal, one of the best of 2010 to be sure. Here's a suite I found:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find more great themes at the IFSZ