Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
The 2012 Greggy Afterparty; Addendum To / Discussion Of
Topic Started: Jan 23 2012, 04:29 PM (207 Views)
TheGreg
Administrator
Welcome back to another year of my favorite things!

Please feel free to discuss my picks (as well as yours) for the very best in film/video games from 2011.

I'd like to kick things off with some runner-ups, honorable mentions and random thoughts...

-My runner-up to Skyrim for best game would have been The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. This excellent title didn't take home any awards, but it definitely came close to taking home the big prize.

-Honorable mentions in no particular order: Portal 2, Batman: Arkham City and Super Mario 3D Land

-A LOT of films were considered for the sound awards- Rango, Mission: Impossible, Harry Potter...

-Harry Potter was very close to taking home the VFX award, but Caesar was just too impressive. I also considered Rango. ILM's animation is absolutely phenomenal in that film. I don't see why an animated film can't win for best visual effects.

-I named my best score nominees a little while back. You can see them and listen to some clips here.

-Harry Potter was considered for editing. I even had thoughts of Mission: Impossible...

-Art direction was firmly going to Potter, but Rango and Hugo also deserve mention there.

-Harry Potter was a contender for screenplay...but so was eventual winner John Logan's Rango...

-I had thoughts of giving Daniel Radcliffe some props in the best actor category. Rooney Mara was also very impressive in Dragon Tattoo.

-Best Picture was VERY close to going to Harry Potter. I wanted to reward that series so badly. And while Deathly Hallows is an absolutely exceptional film, I went with my brain over my heart and gave it to Hugo. I guess you could say that Deathly Hallows was my favorite film of the year, while Hugo was the best.

-Rango was not considered for best picture, but it was considered for a lot of awards. It (sadly) didn't get any. A re-watch of that one found it to be possibly deserving of another half-star from the three I gave it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Guybrush Threepwood

How dare you not give Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy every last one of your awards...even the videogame ones.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find more great themes at the IFSZ