Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Is this the future?!
Topic Started: Dec 23 2012, 10:17 PM (122 Views)
David

I heard since 24fps is so old fashioned, and 48 was an obvious failure to critics, Peter Jackson and James Cameron are moving together towards 96fps. Can you confirm this?

And when are they going to jointly make the sequel to Tintin?!? Will Guillermo Del Toro direct Avatar 2?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TheGreg
Administrator
I'm glad you asked about this. As you read in my review of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, I wasn't nearly as negative in regards to the film's high frame rate presentation as many 'experts' have been. My only real question is whether it adds enough to really necessitate a shift from 24 to 48 fps.

I have seen the film twice now and there is no doubt the added clarity in motion and the lifelike smoothness has benefits. Once the eye adjusts, the image remains consistently sharp and detailed during even the most active of shots.

I honestly feel that many critics have shown a complete and utter lack of understanding in the format and have simply panned it because it's different.

The fact of the matter is that 48 fps provides a more lifelike and consistently detailed image that better represents what the human eye sees. The argument that it is too lifelike is a bizarre one to be sure.

I would encourage people to give it a chance and not slam it simply because we aren't used to it. And please do not avoid it because the old fart film critics are resistant to ANY change in filmmaking.

Critics have had a long history of trashing innovation simply because of their preconceived notions and biases.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ask Greg · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find more great themes at the IFSZ