drupal statistics
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to the Star Trek RPG you have been looking for. Infinity is an original STRPG that allows you the freedom to explore the Star Trek universe the way you always wanted to. We offer several settings each with its own unique feel so all members can find what works best for them.

We are a friendly, laid-back community, open to all kinds and excited to meet other Star Trek fans, or even people who haven't seen the show but want a really amazing science fiction RPG. Join us today - your only regret will be that you didn't find us sooner.

Time: October 2384

Academy-- It is time for students to pledge to Fraternities and Sororities! Many are cramming for midterms and many more are looking for dates to the huge annual Halloween Dance.

Starbase-- Business is booming, but otherwise all is normal at the Starbase.

Infinity-- The USS Infinity is on a mission to deliver emergency supplies to an outlying colony ravaged by natural disaster. After traveling through a massive ion storm, the crew is just waking to find themselves physically regressed to children...

See something that deserves to be spotlighted?
PM Evren, subject line "Spotlight."

-------------------------------

Administrator
Evren

Moderators
Member Mod
Gemini
Activity Mod
Virgo
Board Mod
Phoenix
Advertising Mod
Click to Apply

Graphics and skin code by Lokyr. Skin based on The Glass Passenger by Lokyr of ZetaBoard Theme Zone, modified by Evren.

Sidebar by Brook (never look back.) of RCR, RGU, & Blank Pages. Adapted for Zetaboards by Evren.

VOTE FOR INFINITY!

RPGD CATEGORY :: FANTASY

Visit this site!
Onling Game Resource

Welcome to Infinity. The Infinity RPG is still as active as ever and can now be found [url="http://thestartrekrpg.com"]here[/url]. Come join us!

[/color

Old members can log in to see their content or any hidden threads.

Username:   Password:
Settling In
Topic Started: Sep 17 2011, 06:16 AM (60 Views)
Cadet Joan McCormick
Member Avatar

Joan was famished. She had been working so hard in the library she hadn't realized she missed breakfast and lunch altogether. If someone didn't remind her, she often missed meals. ~Good thing I'm used to it.~ She thought and sighed knowing this wasn't healthy at all. ~Life of a doctor I suppose.~ She thought and shook her head.

Joan thought long and hard about where she wanted to go and eat. Eventually she thought she would try The Restaurant. She had overheard others saying how good it was to eat there.

It seemed like a decent place to eat. She was looking over the menu hoping some disaster wouldn't befall her. So far she had gone a whole week without anything going wrong. Things were looking up. The waiter came and took her order.

Joan looked around noticing others weren't alone here. She envied them.
Offline Profile Quote Post

Cadet Arani Jerrit
Member Avatar
Medical
Arani had never seen the appeal of football or soccer, or whatever you were supposed to call the game. Lola loved it though and Arani had let herself be dragged along to a game. Once she’d actually gotten there, she had to admit that she had actually quite enjoyed it. Afterwards, Lola had headed off for a date, leaving Arani to head back to campus. It was on the way back that she passed by a restaurant. Peering in through a window, she spotted a familiar face inside. A familiar face who temporarily, at least, appeared to be on her own. Perhaps it was time for a quick follow up meeting. With a shrug, Arani headed inside.

“Joan, hey!” Arani dropped into a crouch by Joan’s table, using one hand on the back of Joan’s chair to help keep her balance. “Sorry to interrupt. And intrude.” Wow, the more she thought about it, the more that this seemed like a really bad idea. Add in the fact that there was every chance she was prying into business that was just not hers, she probably should have just left. “Don’t worry, I won’t keep you long-.” A waiter wandered by with a plate of- well, frankly, she didn’t quite know what it was, but as she followed it with her eyes, she definitely wanted to get better acquainted with it.

“Anyway.” With a wide-eyed look of embarrassment, she used her pinkie to brush her hair back behind her ear. “After the last time I saw you, I just wanted to check how you were. You doing okay? Did you look into any of that stuff I suggested?” She wasn’t convinced that her suggestions necessarily would help Joan. She was hopeful though. Perhaps there was at least a small hint of pride, too.

Cadet Joan McCormick
Member Avatar

Joan was pleasantly surprised by Arani dropping in on her.

"You aren't bothering me. Stay if you like. If you have plans I understand. I did look into those techniques, but nothing worked for me. I'm just going with the flow for now and seeing what happens. I haven't had an accident or anything of the such in a week," Joan said glad her food had arrived. She was into trying anything once, and though maybe it was time to broaden her horizons a little.

"If you have no place to be, we could talk some more. I would welcome the company," she said smiling. She took the first bite of her icoberry torte.

Cadet Arani Jerrit
Member Avatar
Medical
None of it worked? Jeez, Arani’s expression dropped a little and she started tapping herself behind her ear. She hadn’t expected to completely fix anything, but some progress would definitely have made her feel a little bit better. She dismissed the thought. It wasn’t like she’d seen Joan in a professional capacity. She hadn’t made a full diagnosis, or even really had the skills to do so, just suggested a couple of things she knew. There. Fine. It sucked for Joan, of course, but if Joan wanted help, she could always see a professional.

“Yeah, I’ll join you, why not? Probably not for long. Don’t want to interfere with your meal or have the staff thinking I’m a mooch, after all.”

Curiously, she glanced at Joan’s food. “Oh. What is that? Is it dessert?” It definitely looked sweet. Well, if Joan was on dessert, she was sure she could join her for that. Looking around, she finally caught the eyes of a waiter and asked for a copy of the dessert menu.

Cadet Joan McCormick
Member Avatar

Joan smiled glad she had someone to talk to again. She was about to say something when Arani continued about her desert.

"It is an icoberry torte. You should try one they are very good. I thought it would be best to broaden my horizons. Dinner wasn't something I enjoyed, but this is wonderful," she said smiling.

"How have your classes been? Need any help with the homework or anything?" Joan offered knowing it was difficult sometimes to keep up with the lessons and have a bit of fun.

"I haven't seen you since the day you told me of those remedies. Come to think of it I haven't seen Sam either. Have you?" She asked hoping she wasn't stepping on someone's toes with her curiosity.

Cadet Arani Jerrit
Member Avatar
Medical
“Help with homework?” Arani shrugged. “Not really.” Oh. If she’d been more inclined to lie, that would have been a good time, wouldn’t it? If Joan could tutor someone, it might help with her confidence and stuff. “I’m pretty sure that the Academy has to have a scheme for people who want help with their studies to find people who want to help, though?”

“Sam?” Arani echoed, her voice jumping in pitch a little in surprise. Why was that a question? Oh, of course, because Joan had thought that he was really good looking. Oh, awkward. “Yeah, uh, you know?” With an uncertain smile, she used a pinkie finger to tuck her hair back behind her ear. “We’ve sort of hung out a couple of times.” The more that she thought about it, the more convinced she was that she probably shouldn’t have been feeling awkward. She’d met Sam by accident one night, they’d had fun, despite everything and made plans to hang out as friends. The fact that she had later found out that someone thought he was good looking was irrelevant.

Catching the waiter’s eye again, she ordered a tiramisu, before turning her attention back to Joan. “After you found out my suggestions didn’t work- sorry about that by the way- did you try anything else? Have you tried speaking to a counsellor? It’s nothing to be ashamed of and if they can help, it’d be silly not to give it a try, right?”

Cadet Joan McCormick
Member Avatar

"It's good to hear you have other friends. I should look into the tutoring thing, and I will tomorrow," she said not bringing Sam up again. She noticed Arani was turning a little red.

"No, I haven't really done anything other than face it head on. I will have my good days and my bad like anyone else. I just have to live with it for now and continue on this path. I am going to be a doctor," Joan said sounding more confident than she had in weeks.

"I might talk with a counselor, but right now I'm more focused on my classes," she said before taking another bite of her torte. Arani's tiramisu arrived seconds after she said that.

"What have you been up to lately?"

Cadet Arani Jerrit
Member Avatar
Medical
Other friends? Arani quirked an eyebrow quizzically. Where had that come from? Okay, so perhaps she wasn’t as good a potential counsellor as she might have hopped, because right now, she was more than a little confused.

Huh. Joan sounded a lot more confident than she had the last time that they’d spoken. Smiling, Arani nodded her head slightly. The change was good to see. Maybe Arani had been wasting her time with talk of remedies and tutors and such. Joan seemed to be on top of things.

“To be honest, I’m not sure you seem like you should see a counsellor,” Arani replied. Before she could elaborate, her tiramisu arrived and took her attention. Oh, that looked good. Taking up her dessert fork, she carefully sliced the tip from the cake.

Good, but not great. Then again, it was tiramisu and even a bad tiramisu was better than a lot of things. Eagerly, she helped herself to a bigger piece. She had a large mouthful when Joan addressed her. “Mmf?” she murmured, holding up a hand to cover her mouth.

“Doing?” she echoed once she’d swallowed. “Oh, you know, stuff?” She shrugged her shoulders. “Studying, obviously. Mostly just general hanging out and stuff though. Oh! I did try using a holosuite for the first time. I’d just never fancied it before. Then one day, it was all I could think about. It was kind of fun. Not a big deal though.” Maybe she’d go back. Maybe not.

“What do you like to do?” she asked politely.

Cadet Joan McCormick
Member Avatar

Joan could tell Arani liked her dessert. She continued slowly enjoying hers not wanting to waste one bite. She wondered if she should take up a few new hobbies and such.

"Why shouldn't I? It might do me some good. You never know what a counsellor might be able to tell me," she said thinking maybe this would be a good idea. ~I should make an appointment in the next couple of days and see how that goes.~ She thought still a little unsure of what would be uncovered in such a meeting.

She had just taken a bite herself when she heard what Arani had to say about her non study times. She wondered if perhaps this future counsellor wasn't having enough fun.

"I do visit the holodeck from time to time. There just isn't enough nature here at the academy for my liking. I was an out doors gal back home. I don't get enough of it through the holodeck though. I am usually busy studying one thing or another. This is the first time in the last couple of weeks that I've really been able to let my hair down," she admitted knowing she would have to fix that.

Cadet Arani Jerrit
Member Avatar
Medical
“Is it…” Arani frowned, poking at her tiramisu with her fork. “You know, when you do your outdoors stuff on the holodeck, is it the same?” She scooped up a forkful of tiramisu, waving it in a lazy circle. “I mean, don’t get me wrong, I know they’re super-realistic. I was actually doing a survival skills course and they started us off with a simulation and yeah, that was realistic, but well, you know.” Did Joan know? Probably not. She was quite possibly talking rubbish. “Okay, so replicated food is never quite as good as home made, I just guess that a simulation is never going to be the same as the real thing?” Or maybe it was. She was talking herself around in circles.

Cadet Joan McCormick
Member Avatar

Joan finished off her dessert. She put her fork down hearing what Arani was trying to say. She sighed and pushed the plate away.

"Arani, in ways the holodeck feels and looks quite real. One could fool themselves into believing it is the real thing if they truly desired to. In some ways yes I was quite at home rock climbing. I could almost have been happy there," she said and took a sip of her water.

"The truth is though I knew it wasn't the same thing. There were too many elements missing. The computer did a good job replicating the mountain, but since I didn't specify anything else the rest of the outdoors weren't there. I didn't have to worry about snakes or other wildlife like I did at home," she continued wishing they could have really done some survival training like she had growing up.

"I didn't take the survival training class, because I don't need it. I don't need someone telling me how to survive when I have already done so all my life. I'm not just talking about the accident prone me either. I've been snake bit. I've seen things that would make several cadets scream, run, or hide. I'm not trying to sound like I know everything, but the holodeck is no place to train for survival," she said sounding very mad. Joan also knew there was nothing she could do about it.

"I almost wish they would let me really show you cadets how to train for the unknown for real survival," she said sounding sad now.

Cadet Arani Jerrit
Member Avatar
Medical
“Snakes?” Arani shivered slightly. “Guh. No thanks.” She, for one, would definitely prefer her mountains without snakes. Or spiders. She didn’t much like those. And moths, with their oversized faces. Not to mention platypuses… platypi, whatever you called them. They were just wrong. Mammals that laid eggs and had poisonous spurs? There was no doubt about it- Earth was a stupid planet.

Arani was more than a little surprised by Joan’s outburst about the survival class. It really was a very different side of Joan to what she’d already seen. It was one that she wasn’t entirely comfortable with.

Arani frowned sympathetically. First she seemed to have annoyed Joan and now she was upset. Great. This was an absolute minefield. “I’m sorry,” she said uncertainly and reached out to put her hand on Joan’s. It would probably be for the best if she just left judging by the way she’d been going so far. Of course, just bailing out now would hardly be appropriate.

Cadet Joan McCormick
Member Avatar

Joan sighed and patted Arani's hand.

"Don't mind me. We are all allowed to have our own opinions. These are just mine. Did you have some place to be?" She asked wanting to show Arani just what she meant by her home.

~It's not like I'm homesick right now. I do miss those mountains though. I hope she has time for me to show her the beauty I grew up with.~ Joan thought noticing Arani hadn't finished her dessert yet.

"Something wrong with the tiramisu?"

Cadet Arani Jerrit
Member Avatar
Medical
“Anywhere else to be?” Arani kind of wished she did. Joan was touchy about some stuff. That was understandable. Everyone had their trigger points. Unfortunately, that didn’t make it any more comfortable for her to witness. “Not really. I mean, I should get actual dinner instead of just ‘cake’ at some point. And I should get back to read over some class notes at some point.

“Something wrong? No.” As if to prove her point, Arani cut off a large piece of tiramisu with her fork. “You know how it goes, though. You try to talk and eat at the same time and you don’t do either of them very well, right?” She forked the tiramisu into her mouth. For a moment, she simply sat and chewed, twirling her fork in her hand as she enjoyed her food.

“So how about you?” she asked once she’d finished her mouthful of food. “Any exciting plans for the evening?”

Cadet Joan McCormick
Member Avatar

Joan smiled knowing Arani meant well. ~She probably thinks I'm nuts and can't wait to be away from me. I can't say I blame her.~ She thought not showing her feelings just then. She listened while Arani talked.

"Nothing really. I have some homework to do, but it isn't due for another week," she admitted thinking perhaps she should spend some time for fun instead.

Cadet Arani Jerrit
Member Avatar
Medical
“Oh. Okay.” Arani wasn’t quite sure what else to say. She opened her mouth, but nope. Oh dear. She had a horrible suspicion that she might have said something she should have. Or done something she shouldn’t have. Or heck, maybe it was still because she’d gone on that survival course.

Not sure what else she could say, she set about finishing her dessert. When she was finished, she beckoned a waiter over so she could settle up. “I’m glad you’re doing better, Joan. It shows, really,” she began once she was done with the waiter. “Thanks for inviting me to join you and I’m sorry if I said anything out of place or…” She shook her head and gave a slightly frustrated grunt. Frankly, she wasn’t at all sure where she’d gone wrong. “Or whatever. Anyway. I’m going to go now, I think and I’ll see you around some time, probably. Take care, okay?” With a slight smile, she turned to leave.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Restaurant · Next Topic »