Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Altezza Club Of NZ/Australia. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

http://s4.zetaboards.com/lexusaltezzaclub/topic/1148393/1/#new

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
D I Y Fog To Brake Light Conversion; How to convert rear fogs to brake lamps
Topic Started: Sep 2 2004, 09:54 PM (11,592 Views)
FLEX
Member Avatar
Sleeper
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
figure I make this a new thread ...

Ok Guys -

heres the link to the Fog to Brake light conversion.
goes fairly into detail.

http://www.altezzaclub.org.au/fog_mods.htm

Please note that design of the web page is still in construction - so until the new format is underway - you will have to view it as is... still good !!

enjoy ...

also anyone accomplishing this mod or even making slight adjustment for easier install - pls let me know.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SSML
Member Avatar
Custom
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi:
Very useful IS200. I followed the instruction and done the mod! v cool. The only thing I would suggest is to make a note which wire is for Left and Right (I used masking tape to stick on cables to mark). So in case if one of the fog is not working, u know which cable to look for possible bad connection.

I guess for JDM Altezza and USA IS300 owners, there is no need for this mod as the rear inner lights (rear fog for euro,AUS IS200/IS300) also lit up when lights are turned on and become brighter under brake. (I noticed that from Best Motoring video and GT3 game)
please correct me if I am wrong.

SSML
02 IS200 Lux6MT BneAus
2008 addition: DIY job:DBA 4000series x-drilled rotors + bendix pads :D

lextcy
Member Avatar
Sydney, IS300
[ *  *  *  * ]
I added a switch so I can disable the mod and return it to default easily
But i just leave it on all the time

FLEX
Member Avatar
Sleeper
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
dam edwin !! can we all have a beer and you can show us how its done ..?? **ahem** like do it for us ..?? :D
Posted Image

Stephen
Member Avatar
Altezza Club of Australia
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Altezza Club of Australia will not be help responsible for any damage sustained however caused!!!!!"

Sorry..just a typo....should that be "held"? :P
Posted Image

az3
Unregistered

SSML,Sep 3 2004
01:10 AM
Hi:
Very useful IS200. I followed the instruction and done the mod! v cool. The only thing I would suggest is to make a note which wire is for Left and Right (I used masking tape to stick on cables to mark). So in case if one of the fog is not working, u know which cable to look for possible bad connection.

I guess for JDM Altezza and USA IS300 owners, there is no need for this mod as the rear inner lights (rear fog for euro,AUS IS200/IS300) also lit up when lights are turned on and become brighter under brake. (I noticed that from Best Motoring video and GT3 game)
please correct me if I am wrong.

SSML

rear fog light is factory/dealer fitted option on altezza in japan part of winter pack but there wont be a inner boot mounted parking light or brake light if the altezza does come with a rear fog light option.
Quote Post Goto Top

Brian_J
Member Avatar
Sleeper
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
umm just wondering, is this mod "legal" on the roads and stuff in australia(nsw)?
2001 IS200 6MT
Posted Image

Stephen
Member Avatar
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that the fogs are only permitted to be on in conditions of poor visibility.
Posted Image

az3
Unregistered

Stephen,Oct 5 2004
10:50 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that the fogs are only permitted to be on in conditions of poor visibility.

correct.in poor visibility/fog condition.
rear fog lights are compulsory in europe just wonder why aus/ nz does not require them as standard by law even though some nz/aus spec cars got them as standard.....
Quote Post Goto Top

SSML
Member Avatar
Custom
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
From my understanding and obsevations from videos and magazines, US and JP models will have inner lights(IS200/300 rear fogs) on at the same time as the outter lights (IS200/300 brake lights).
So all 4 round lights will be on when parking lights is switched on, then all 4 round lights will become brighter when brake is applied. so all 4 lights must have 2 filament bulbs. please correct me any JDM Altezza owner if I am wrong.

In AU, Europe, the inner lights are purely act as "Fog lights" (Same for GS300 too)

and Yes, It's illegal ( in QLD at least) as u are only allow to have 3 brake lights switched on at once.
That's why the dealers have to disconnect the original 3rd brake light if u fit an optional boot spoiler with brake light on.
But u still see Grey imported Skylines with 4 round lights+ 3rd brake lights on during brake.
SSML
02 IS200 Lux6MT BneAus
2008 addition: DIY job:DBA 4000series x-drilled rotors + bendix pads :D

Altezza98
Soccer Mom
[ * ]
My JDM Altezza has a switch on the dash (factory fitted) to switch it on and off, but they are not lighted when the headights are on. :D

Stephen
Member Avatar
Altezza98,Oct 7 2004
05:35 PM
My JDM Altezza has a switch on the dash (factory fitted) to switch it on and off, but they are not lighted when the headights are on. :D

Same with all standard IS's
Posted Image

az3
Unregistered

Altezza98,Oct 7 2004
07:35 PM

switch what on & off?
Quote Post Goto Top

Brian_J
Member Avatar
Sleeper
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
does anyone wanna bring along the tools needed to.."help" me with this conversion on sunday? :P
2001 IS200 6MT
Posted Image

Stephen
Member Avatar
You will also need the diodes.
Posted Image

Brian_J
Member Avatar
Sleeper
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
will you be able to do them for me stephen? if so i will rush out tongiht and try to get some diodes
2001 IS200 6MT
Posted Image

Stephen
Member Avatar
To do it properly, you will need to solder the connections.
Posted Image

?uestlove
Member Avatar
Sleeper
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I cant figure it out! I had a day off today, so Had a look at it, the Diodes can only go one way, tunred the other way round, it doesnt work.

Im talking about the same problem i was having, with the lights switched on, as soon as I brake, the fogs stay on :(
Toyota Power

Stephen
Member Avatar
Check the rating of the diodes.
Posted Image

?uestlove
Member Avatar
Sleeper
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ahhh, good point, how do i do that, they have a 54 number on them, could that be it?
Toyota Power

Stephen
Member Avatar
It should also be marked with a current rating in amps. You require at least 1.5 amps.
Posted Image

lextcy
Member Avatar
Sydney, IS300
[ *  *  *  * ]
hmm, more troubles with your car huh
;)
i can have a look for you at the next meetup

?uestlove
Member Avatar
Sleeper
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think thats best, did you ground anything? My ol man rekons that may be it.
Toyota Power

lextcy
Member Avatar
Sydney, IS300
[ *  *  *  * ]
nah no grounding
it should work perfectly

?uestlove
Member Avatar
Sleeper
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I fixed it! Well, my Dad (An Electrician by trade did hehe) I was connecting the swith to it aswell. Now I can use the fog light switch for something else, like maybe a hi/lo boost setup :D
Toyota Power

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Interior Exterior · Next Topic »
Add Reply