Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Altezza Club Of NZ/Australia. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

http://s4.zetaboards.com/lexusaltezzaclub/topic/1148393/1/#new

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Coreys Turbo Altezza; 1999 Altezza RS 200 Z Turbo.
Topic Started: Sep 7 2007, 09:41 PM (4,441 Views)
turbo tezza
Member Avatar
Sacked
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thought I better put my car in here since I have been around since pretty much the start of Altezzaclub.

Well, here goes the long history of my car.

My Car build-up
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

turbo tezza
Member Avatar
Sacked
[ *  *  *  * ]
I bought my car from Chevron Cars on Moorhouse Avenue in Christchurch in December 2002.

I saw it sitting on the yard late on Friday, and just had to turn around and go back for a look. Its not every day you see a Turbo Altezza sitting on a yard.(This is back in 02 remember)

So I went in on the Saturday and asked how long it had been on the yard - the salesman said it got there on Friday afternoon and they put it out straight away for the weekend.

After this, we went for a test drive round town, 3 up, and boy was i impressed!!
I would have to say it went better than the WRX i was driving at the time.

Needless to say I was hooked.

I went home and pondered whether I could afford to buy it, and it was very touch and go if I was gonna get it or not.
Then, I thought, how often does a turbo altezza come up for sale. Answer - not very often at all!!

So back in on Sunday to sign the paperwork and trade in the WRX.

All that done - it sat in the showroom for a week before they groomed and detailed it, along with new warrant and rego.

The car also had an alarm fitted along with a turbo timer.

And while it was sitting there, the salesman said he could have sold it another 15 -20 times that week. Just aswell I got in quickly.

That was before i even got it home.

My Car build-up

turbo tezza
Member Avatar
Sacked
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Altezza. First pics taken
Posted Image

Side view
Posted Image

My Car build-up

YellowRS200
Member Avatar
Pyes Pa-Tauranga
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]

Nice write up Corey.

So how do you feel leaving it in Alexandra for a year,letting your Dad drive it while you're in Aussie. :D

turbo tezza
Member Avatar
Sacked
[ *  *  *  * ]
When I got the car, it was very tidy - except for a couple of deep scratches on the boot.

Since it was so close to christmas when i picked it up (21 Dec), they couldn't get it touched up till after the new year.

In the end, they ended up repainting the whole boot on the 3rd attempt, because i wasn't happy with it the first 2 times!!

The 1st time they didn't actually fix the scratches that they were supposed to.
The 2nd attempt there were big runs in the paintwork just below the top edge ot the boot, just above rear number plate.

So the 3rd time they actually had to paint the whole boot to fix the mees they had made.
And all this was over a month, in which i didn't have a vehicle. From memory, I think Chevron gave me a loan car the last time.

Finally got it back looking the way i wanted!!

My Car build-up

turbo tezza
Member Avatar
Sacked
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well its broken at the moment so its not so bad.

But I am missing driving a decent car.
I'm driving an 87 nissan Navara king cab at the moment. Its just not the same.

My Car build-up

alimac
Member Avatar
Canterbury, NZ
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I hope it'll be going for February
Yellow RS200z 6MT

turbo tezza
Member Avatar
Sacked
[ *  *  *  * ]
Specs on the car when i bought it.

1999 Altezza RS 200 Z edition with elegance kit in silver.

Trust bolt-on turbo kit consisting of TD-04H 16T turbo
2 1/2" exhaust from turbo to tip
Trust/Greddy E-manage piggyback ECU
Trust sponge type pod filter with Greddy aluminium air flow meter housing (2 1/2")
Aluminium intercooler piping to Greddy aluminium intercooler measuring - LARGE!!
Standard injectors, standard compression.

Bilstein height adjustable suspension

Standard 17" Alloy wheels

Thats all i think.

Ill add more as i recall.

Dynoed at 163 KW at rears.

My Car build-up

turbo tezza
Member Avatar
Sacked
[ *  *  *  * ]
Engine bay
Posted Image

My Car build-up

turbo tezza
Member Avatar
Sacked
[ *  *  *  * ]
alimac,Sep 7 2007
10:31 PM
I hope it'll be going for February

I hope so too Craig.

Its in the process of getting down to Dunedin to be fixed.

My Car build-up

turbo tezza
Member Avatar
Sacked
[ *  *  *  * ]
When i first got the car, it would only pull 3 psi boost, which it did with the wastagate held open, meaning it system was leaking somewhere.

I went through all the intercooler piping, made sure all the pipe clamps on the silicon hose joiners were tight and discovered all the original Trust silicon hose was perished and leaking.

It was all replaced, and $120 or so later after i fitted it all, problem solved.

It would actually make 4 psi. But wait it had an adjustable wastegate actuator so that was wound out abit and gain a couple more psi.
It would make 6 psi now - which was up there for a standard engine.

My Car build-up

turbo tezza
Member Avatar
Sacked
[ *  *  *  * ]
This is the way it stayed till December 2003, when it started developing a miss just coming onto boost.

Me being me, i wanted to to run perfectly - which it wasn't.

I was told it was a dead spot between the Altezza ECU and the piggyback ECU working together.

The first try to solve this problem was trying to find some software to change the settings on the E-manage, but searching high and low there was nothing out there.

So I decided to go down another path.
The problem was that in Japan, they run 100 or so octane fuel and thats what it was programmed for.
It needed the timing pulled and more fuel.

So, since we couldn't pull the timing, we added more fuel.

A link LEM3 ECU was purchased, and only the injector cycle was used.

This was installed by Chris Woods, and then it went to P.A.D Racing in Christchurch for tuning.

The news came back good and bad on tuning.

It was now making 170 KW at wheels but it was running quite lean, which is bad in a turbocharged car with the air being forced in.

So one problem was solved - the miss - although it was getting more than enough fuel, the timing was still the big issue.

My Car build-up

turbo tezza
Member Avatar
Sacked
[ *  *  *  * ]
The timing still being an issue, I proceeded to blow the engine to bits!

This was in Jan 2004.

The problem being the boost crept up to 10 psi and running lots of advance, it blew through detonation.

So.........

The car went to Miles Toyota in Chch, engine was stripped down to find a big hole in the side of no. 3 piston.

They mucked me around saying the block could be bored out - then they said it couldn't - then they said it could - and i finally got a definate answer of it couldn't be bored and sleeved because the block was warped and twisted through the heat of the meltdown.

That took them 3 weeks to make up their mind - so i was sitting round wanting my car fixed - then i had to find either a new block on an engine in a hurry.
(By the way, this block is in RA45 celicas car)

I managed to find a complete engine - it had been disconnected from the plugs and from the gearbox (really complete!!!)

It was a tiptronic engine - which came out of Ian Booths altezza, before the V8 went in.......

This engine was delivered to Miles and then the good guys from CarAid engine reconditioners picked it up - and proceeded to pull it to bits.
I think they said it took them 4 hours to get everything off that didn't need to be on there.

Head was taken off, mr-2 pistons and rings were bought to lower the compression - only to find that the two different pistons had different pins heights, needles to say the pistons raised the compression instead of lowering it like it was supposed to!!!!

The pistons were skimmed, valves pockets cut and the pistons cc'ed to check for compression. Its was still about 9 or so :1 which is still on the higher side for a turbo, but better than 11.5:1 that it was.

My Car build-up

turbo tezza
Member Avatar
Sacked
[ *  *  *  * ]
What a mess.
Posted Image

My Car build-up

turbo tezza
Member Avatar
Sacked
[ *  *  *  * ]
During the buildup, i got the cambelt done because it was easier to do it then.

While the engine was getting built up, my car was at Miles Toyota, sitting outside.

I received a ring from them saying that my intercooler and piping had been stolen off the car while it was sitting in their yard.

I said how could that happen, and why was it sitting outside in the first place?

After they got the engine back in, they made up some custom piping and a custom made intercooler - which i might add was too big for the space - they just jammed a 600 x 300 in which was too high.
Intercooler pushed up bumper, bumper pushed up grill and bonnet wouldn't shut at all - oh sorry - it would only shut if slammed shut.
Their fix - chop 10mm off the brackets at the bottom so intercooler stuck out bottom of the bumper.

I actually gave them the measurements in the first place to make the intercooler to, but no, they knew best.

So after the piping was made out of exhaust tube and fitted along with a plumb back blowoff valve, it cost them over $2000.

I talked to Matt, Frilai, and he could have got me the original Greddy intercooler kit including alloy piping for $1950 landed in Chch, direct from Japan in about a week, which would have fitted perfectly....... go figure...... :blink:

Finally got my car back on the friday afternoon of 4s and rotaries show, just in time to get in. By the way, the show was in March, 13th i think.

All up, my car was off the road about 3 months. :angry:

Posted Image

My Car build-up

turbo tezza
Member Avatar
Sacked
[ *  *  *  * ]
In May 2004 I bit the bullet and bought an Apex'i Power FC especially for the turbo altezza and the hand controller to go with it - and for the great deal of $1250!!

I had the link, the E-manage and the factory ECU all removed - in the end they were fighting each other. All the wiring was put back to standard, by Chris Woods.

The Power FC was installed, along with a set of 440cc injectors from a st165 celica gt-4. I also fitted a turbo XS manual boost controller which helped alot.

It was then booked in at Colombus Car Clinic in Chch to have the ECU tuned - and now it could be tuned properly.

It was a sad start to tuning.

There was a leak in the injectors - they weren't seating properly, so that was seen to, then the sparkplugs were too hot, so they had to be changed. Miles Toyota put the wrong ones in.

First run on base settings - 140 KW..... :unsure:

After a bit of tuning Brett was able to get it to 160 KW at wheels on 8 psi.
This was with a very conservative tune. It was getting better.

I think it left there with 166 KWAW. I was happy with this.

When the engine was built up, I was told that the engine would only really be able to handle around 10 psi max with the compression.

My Car build-up

turbo tezza
Member Avatar
Sacked
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have also made some other changes to the car.

Namely:

- TRD lightweight flywheel, TRD sports type clutch plate and TRD pressure plate.
- TRD short shift kit.
- TRD Carbon Sports Grill.
- Apex'i AVC-R electronic boost controller.
- Changed exhaust, now 3" with 2 resonators into a triple flow muffler to try and keep in quietish.
- Bucket seats from a WRX which are mounted about 30 - 40 mm lower than the standard seats.
- Had a Pivot Speedmeter X, but sold it when i put the Power FC in because the speed limiter was removed by the PFC.
- Autometer boost guage.
- 18" Zuna wheels by Reaction, with 225/40/18 Goodyear eagle F1 tyres.
- Pioneer cd head unit 50 x 4 with a set of 6" x 9" 280 watt rear speakers, with pioneer 6 stack shuttle.
- I also had the intercooler cut down 2006 so it actually fits properly now.

- Have just received a new set of SARD 530cc injectors from Mac at Fortyone Automotive.

- Also bought a new HKS Areo Style front bumper from Mac aswell.

My Car build-up

turbo tezza
Member Avatar
Sacked
[ *  *  *  * ]
In September 2006, I upgraded my turbo to a Garrett GT2571R plain bearing turbo, because the original one was running out of efficiency.

After spending a bit more than i was hoping to, car went down to NZEFI for tuning. (because Colombus Car Clinic had closed)

Phil ran it up on the dyno, and after dropping back to 8 psi, (it had been running up to 14 psi on the old turbo, and new electronic boost controller i bought),
I was very happy with 182 KWaw, and it was still in a pretty conservative tuning state. Phil said he could quite easily run a few more psiwith no worries.

So thats where my car was left in October.

My Car build-up

turbo tezza
Member Avatar
Sacked
[ *  *  *  * ]
TRD grill
Posted Image

Car in the snow in Hanmer one cold winters day!
Posted Image

Pic with new wheels - latest pic I have.
Posted Image

My Car build-up

MYIS300
Member Avatar
Lowered
[ *  *  * ]
Love the last 2 pic's - the snow and the new wheels - looks great!
Posted Image

CoffeeBoss
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I <3 This Car!

To date (as plenty Sydney Altezza Club members will attest) I'm still harping on about the evening I spent with this car in Christchurch, when Corey was so very kind to let me have a drive. I currently maintain (after sampling 1JZ and 1UZ) that this is the kind of powerplant I'd like to have in my car one day. Awesome.
Posted Image

turbo tezza
Member Avatar
Sacked
[ *  *  *  * ]
The new front bumper looks like this.
Posted Image

My Car build-up

turbo tezza
Member Avatar
Sacked
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks Matt, I know how much you loved driving it.

I bet you would have like to have driven it round the South Island!! :D

My Car build-up

Distrb
Member Avatar
Nuts
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nice writeup Corey. Great to see the evolution of the beast. Certainly was impressive when i had the oppertunity to see if up close at Toyspeed MM04.

Slightly geeky question... What is your injector duty cycle & Fuel rail pressure in its latest state of tune?? Any indication of how much more boost she'll take before you need to decompress further?

turbo tezza
Member Avatar
Sacked
[ *  *  *  * ]
Distrb,Sep 10 2007
06:14 PM
Nice writeup Corey. Great to see the evolution of the beast. Certainly was impressive when i had the oppertunity to see if up close at Toyspeed MM04.

Slightly geeky question... What is your injector duty cycle & Fuel rail pressure in its latest state of tune?? Any indication of how much more boost she'll take before you need to decompress further?

Just from memory, I think the injector duty was around 88%, got some bigger injectors now - some SARD 530cc from Fortyone performance ;)

Don't know about the rail pressure - just standard. I heard that they are about 60 psi or so from factory, that might be at the pump though.

Got a bigger fuel pump to go in one day aswell. :rolleyes:

And....... as we speak my car is getting pulled down to find out why it is down to 80 on no.4, instead of 160 like the other 3 cylinders.

Corey

My Car build-up

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · VIP Members Garage · Next Topic »
Add Reply