Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Altezza Club Of NZ/Australia. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

http://s4.zetaboards.com/lexusaltezzaclub/topic/1148393/1/#new

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ticking / Squeaking Sound At Idle; What is going on?
Topic Started: Jul 4 2008, 11:38 AM (1,725 Views)
drjonnz
Member Avatar
Stock
[ *  * ]
My manual RS200 has developed a ticking or squeaking sound whilst at idle, or more correctly when the clutch is fully engaged. When you push the clutch in, the sound goes away. The curious thing is at start-up it isn't present, but after approx 10 seconds of the engine idling, it starts to develop and then is more or less constant, until such time that you press in the clutch pedal. Presumably it is always there with the clutch engaged when I'm driving, but road noise means that I only hear it when I'm stationary or travelling at low speed.

I spoke to a mechanic about it and he said it was likely to be the clutch pressure plate being warped (maybe overheated) and said a new clutch for $500 would fix it. However, I am not so sure. I did a bit of a search on the net and read somewhere that IS200s (and presumably Altezzas) sometimes develop a noise like this which is actually a problem with the clutch master cylinder.

Can anyone shed any light on the situation? Has anyone had a similar problem and knows what the solution is?

Thanks.
'99 RS200Z 6MT Sunroof Red Mica Metallic
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

greeneyes
Member Avatar
Targa Master
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Get it idling and squeaking, then lean in underneath and push the slave cyl rod back & forth slightly.

If the pressure plate is warped you should feel the rod vibrate when you move it out of the slave cyl & against the pressure plate.

If the noise stops when you push the rod back into the slave cyl then you know the noise is coming from the release bearing. If the noise doesn't stop, you know its in the gearbox input shaft.

http://z4.invisionfree.com/lexusaltezzaclu...?showtopic=6884
The Girl's KE70-
http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/42407-the-girls-ke70/
How NOT to build a rally car-
http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/64027...ld-a-rally-car/

alimac
Member Avatar
Canterbury, NZ
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just get in the car and drive, don't worry about idling :P
Yellow RS200z 6MT

Kenshinnguyen
Lowered
[ *  *  * ]
happened to me a while back, when i start the car, after 5-10 sec or so, it starts making some squeeky noise, until i put pressure on the clutch, it stops.

my mechanic friend rub some black dust powder thingy on some belt and it stop,
i dont really know what they're called, but it worked.
Honda Accord => Lexus IS200 => Mitsubishi Evo9?

greeneyes
Member Avatar
Targa Master
Quote:

black dust powder thingy

Ah- graphite (carbon) powder, a dry lubricant.

The belt would have been the fan belt I assume, squeaking over the alternator, but I don't know why the clutch affected it.

Easy enough to try tho'.
The Girl's KE70-

Lowered
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:

graphite (carbon) powder, a dry lubricant

is that the proper name for that stuff? where can i get some of that? i want to stop some of the fan belt noise

greeneyes
Member Avatar
Targa Master
The usual car shops- repco or supercheap or auto-one etc.

I'm a fan of CRC Beltgrip myself. They should have it in aerosols down there.
The Girl's KE70-

Lowered
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks will drop into repco and have a look

drjonnz
Member Avatar
Stock
[ *  * ]
Okay, so I had a look underneath with the engine idling, and yes, rocking the slave cylinder back and forth does start / stop the squeaking. This made me initially think that the noise was coming from the release bearing.

However, with the engine switched OFF, rocking the arm in and out in the direction of the arrows in the picture also produces the squeak. To my way of thinking, if the problem is with the release bearing, it would only occur when the engine is turning, not at rest. I wonder if the squeak could be due to a dry linkage underneath the rubber grommet, rather than the release bearing itself? Does anyone know if there is a way of getting under the rubber grommet and lubricating the linkage? I had a look at the rubber grommet and it doesn't seem easy to get into. Does it just pull off?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Posted Image

drjonnz
Member Avatar
Stock
[ *  * ]
Sorry, just to clarify, what I mean by the rubber grommet is the rectangular shaped rubber bellows on the clutch side, not the round rubber on the slave cylinder.

Tomoyasu
Member Avatar
Soccer Mom
[ * ]
I know this is a pretty old thread, but I thought I'd share how I fixed my clutch squeak/rattle. The problem is that the clutch fork vibrates on the spherical pivot inside the bell housing. Pulling the rubber boot off and lubricating it with graphite power or silicon spray makes the noise go away but this is only a temporary fix. You'll note that while the car is idling, pushing your finger upward (or downward) on the clutch fork eliminates the noise. With this in mind, I decided to attach a spring to the mechanism to reduce vibration and hence the annoying noise.

Posted Image

The direction of force on the fork is critical so the placement of the spring is important. Mine got so bad that you could hear it permanently cruising at 100 kph. This fix has eliminated 99% of the noise - sometimes I can hear the faintest squeak on deceleration, but this doesn't bother me given how annoying it was before (more tension on the spring would probably make a 100% fix).

I bought my spring from Mitre10 Mega for $9 (11.125x50.8x1.575mm), I then cut two rings out of it to make it slightly shorter. I attached a hose clamp around the clutch fork and drilled a small hole in a rib of the bell housing. I then attached the spring between and boom noise gone - I recommend wearing safety glasses if you are attaching a spring! ^_^
A redline a day keeps the carbon away

Kinkywink
Stock
[ *  * ]
I've currently got a noise coming from my gearbox, more of a whine, but again, the noise disappears as soon as the clutch is disengaged. I believe the noise to be the gearbox input shaft bearing.

the pilot bearing WILL make a noise when clutch is disengaged.

the throw out bearing WILL make a noise when the bearing touches the pressure plate, so as you take up the slack on the clutch you will start to hear a noise if this is bad.
as the throw out bearing is located on a sleeve that is stationary no matter what the engine is doing, it can only make a noise when its in contact with pressure plate

as for the gearbox input shaft bearing, this WILL ONLY make a noise when the clutch is engaged. as when the clutch is disengaged the shaft is not spinning.

as for a warped pressure plate, I cant see how this will make a noise unless the throw out bearing is in contact, this would cause a few clutch fingers to be tapping or scraping on the throw out bearing which you would hear, but that would have to be seriously warped as its bolted square to the flywheel.

silverhelix
Member Avatar
Body-Kitted
[ *  *  *  * ]
I've got the squealing death noise, so frustrating as it makes my car sound like a heap of crap.
Can this be fixed with graphite or do I need to pull off the gearbox and stick in a new release bearing?

Would love to fix this but there's a few different solutions in this post?
The noise goes away when the clutch is engaged.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Driveline - Clutch Gearbox Differentials · Next Topic »
Add Reply