Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Altezza Club Of NZ/Australia. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

http://s4.zetaboards.com/lexusaltezzaclub/topic/1148393/1/#new

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Kmg; Keegan's GXE10 Altezza
Topic Started: Feb 16 2012, 02:19 PM (18,798 Views)
KMG
Member Avatar
manual V300 all the way :P
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Been a while so may aswell do one of these.

Bought the car 3 years ago from Fast Fours and Turbos.

Came with a Eurou Aero full lip kit from Japan, but apart from that, the car was stock as a rock, 6 Speed Manual of course, 1GFE tho :(

Since then I have slowly added bits and pieces to the car as seen in other posts to help me go round and round a track a little faster!

As of right now, this is where I am at:

Engine:
1GFE VVTI
GReddy Airinx Pod Filter Kit

Drivetrain:
Stock 6MT (with stock DM Flywheel still!)
TRD Quick Shift Kit
TRD LSD Oil
Bridgestone RE11 Tires (BEST TYRES EVER!)

Body:
Eurou Aero complete lip kit
JDM Black Headlights
JDM Black Taillamps
JDM Black Foglamps
LED Rear Foglamps
Cusco Radiator Cooling Panel
HID Headlamp and Foglamps
Front and Rear tow straps

Interior:
Recaro Styled Bucket Seats
Chrome Gearknob (soon to be TRD)
Blue LED Dash Conversion
Eclipse Shift Lamp

Brake:
Znoelli SP500 Front Pads
Znoelli SP500 Rear Pads
Znoelli S6 Supra discs (front) (323mm)
Supra big brake calipers
GoodRidge Braided Brake Hose Kit
Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid

Handling: (goodness where do I start!)
Cusco Type-OS Front Strut Brace
Cusco Type-OS Rear Strut Brace
Cusco Inner Boot Brace
Cusco BCS
Cusco Front Swaybar
Cusco Rear Swaybar
Cusco Front Lower Arm Bar V2 (Triangle)
Cusco Rear Lower Arm Bar V1 (Diff)
Cusco Rear Lower Arm Bar V2 (Big H Brace)
Ultra Racing room bar (painted anodized blue)

Sounds: (installed these when i got the car so can’t remember the exact models but here we go with the brands  )
Pioneer 6.0” Components
Pioneer Headunit
SoundStream Subwoofer
Alpine Amp
Lots of sound deadening in the front door

That’s what I can remember over the last few years, pics etc to come shortly over the next few days while I collate them all etc 

For now here are some recent-ish pics of me on the skidpan:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

below: New Znoelli S6 Front Discs, Znoelli SP550 pads. Braided lines, Cusco front swaybar
Posted Image

Posted Image

below:rear tow hook fitted
Posted Image
Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
hmmmmmm fun times ahead labeling it all. got to love the Toyota multiplex

Posted Image
Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
after a few days of thought i ended up going ahead and buying these bad boys :D

Supra BBK kit :D
just an image (atm) of the disc that i got Znoelli to slot for me.
also spacers that i have had to add to make it fit with standard wheels (sleeper)

Posted Image
Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
so last night decided to roll the rear guards in preparation for the new suspension along with the rear spacers. got the guard roller through a mate and heat gun from work.easy as to set up and use. used up an hour of my time to do both sides.

Posted Image

Posted Image

below before and after
Posted Image

only issue i had was i may have gone a little to much and slightly pumped the guards but MEH will be fine and it's no major.
Posted Image

Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
also last night installed the new second hand dif head and LSD (2way) the weight made it nice and fun to move around into place but didn't take to long.

Posted Image

also had to change over the side shafts as the GXE10 has 4 bolts, were the SXE10 has a 6 bolt set up.

Posted Image
Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
so this morning got a parcel brought to my desk :D. Figs adaptors for the BBK kit. so will be working on the brakes tonight and will upload photos tomorrow if all goes well and fits. going to be tight so hopefully it will all work out

Posted Image
Posted Image
Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
so last night i fitted my new adapters into the BBK calipers :) very straight forward and easy to do. no press needed i just used a bolt threaded into the adapter then hit the bolt. the adapters are put in each caliper far apart to make them fit the factory mounting points.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ok so they went on all good with no issues. put in new RBF600 brake fluid and bleed the brakes obviously.the really moment of truth was to see if the caliper cleared the factory alloys with the 15mm spacers (nicks calculations put to the test).

after tightening the spacer and then the wheel the result below speaks for itself on how tight the fit is!! :D

Posted Image
Posted Image

as you can see below there is about 1.5mm clearance :P TIGHT

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ok so after a little bit of waiting and more waiting my new coilovers finally arrived :D

my brand spanking new BC BR Coilovers
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

instead of sticking with the factory coilover spring rate (10front 6rear) i decided to go with 16kgs on the front and 14kgs on the rear!
Posted Image

still have the standard coilover springs which maybe handy or will just sell off. was easy enough to change the springs. combined time of roughly an hour at the most.

there are a few reasons for doing this most of them will be because the car will be seeing quite a few track and gymkhana days :) the other reasons are further down the track :)
Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
got home had dinner and then went to work installing the new coilovers :D

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ok so i also decided to relocate my battery into the boot. main reason behind this is to give me more much needed room in the engine bay.

had to drill some holes in the vehicle :/ but nothing major. ended up using nutserts in the holes as easier than riveting and can take the screws in and out if i need. figured i would need to take the battery out a few times down the track.

firstly i marked were i needed to drill the holes
Posted Image

next i drilled the holes :)
Posted Image

i then installed the nutserts into the holes so a screw can be inserted in and out with no problems
Posted Image

end result of the battery box support bracket
Posted Image
Posted Image

Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ok so finished up the battery box last night :)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

Tim27
Member Avatar
Alcoholic in training
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

It's confirmed!!
- Still Alive - Somehow... -

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
^^^^ hahaha nice one :D
I know just read your latest addition to your thread :D cant wait!
Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ok so was going to start this at a later date but since it is all out in the open might as well start now. will be a slow thread

i have always wanted more power ever since i had done nearly all the handling modifications that i could to my Altezza. As everyone knows the 1G-FE is not a power house and can't be modified into a power house either.so that idea was out the window and had to start looking down other avenues. one of those was to buy another altezza (3sge) and transfer over all the parts then sell the 1G-FE.

then i got a phone call with a offer i could not pass up. The call was for an engine upgrade (transplant/conversion) for the car. i had always wanted a JZA80 due to the power you can get out of them. but they don't have the room inside (2 door only). so the next best thing was to put that engine into the altezza.

so below is what i ended up purchasing :wub:
Posted Image

sadly like the image above it did not come single turbo and wont be for a while :(
Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
so the engine arrived via a van. got the engine on the crane and brought it into the garage. the engine is out of a JZS161.
Posted Image

the engine also came with a large box with a few nights of beer drinking to sort through it all (complete wiring harness and ECU)
Posted Image

along with the above came a R154 manual gearbox with the yoke, jzs161 pedal set, power steering res and quite a few other bits and pieces :)

so was a very good and complete package.
Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
so even though the engine has only done 73,xxx i decided i wanted to strip the engine down to future proof it :) and check everything was fine on the inside.

this involved the below:
Full timing kit (belt idler, tensioner, waterpump etc)
Complete engine overhaul gasket kit
MSLR multilayer Racing Head gasket
ARP head studs
Posted Image
Posted Image

ACL race bearings (main and big end)
Posted Image

Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
so started the strip down of the engine to check how everything was on the inside and to future proof it :)
i only have a few pictures of the deconstruction as i just wanted to get it all apart :)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

all the external parts of the engine off and wrapped up on the floor
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also added some more loom to the collection that came with the engine in a previous post
Posted Image

eventually got the engine down to the point where i can look at taking the head off. the only real main issue we had here was the crank pulley WOW it is done up tight. Looking in the manual it tells you to tighten the crank pulley to 330NM. so without having a rattle gun. this provide quite fun. it also involed one of my friends getting a nice size bruise on his thigh.
Posted Image
Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Due to the contless hours that nick and i were going to be spending in the garage doing this conversion ourselves i also had to make sure there was fluids to keep us well hydrated and to keep nick wanting to come over :P
Posted Image

so didnt get any picture of the process i did to take off the head but below is what i do have.
Posted Image

Taking the head off wasn't that bad and was straight forward. It did help the we had all the manuals to help us along the way :D. also helps to remember in which position all the items came off from. Hence the arrow in the image. telling us which way was front and in what order everything was to go back on back in.after the head got taken off nick and i had a look at the condition of the block and pistons. there was nothing to be conserned about. infact it was all in great condition.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
since i wasn't in to much of a rush at the time and nick was on hoilday i decided to take the opurtunity to make a few items cleaner and look "newer". however once i started with a couple of the parts i had to do the rest!
ended up using VHT silver flame (heat) proof spray paint

with all the parts below i ended up geting a wire brush tip for my drill and went to town on all of the. that was easy! so was cleaning the excess of with brake cleaner. the hard part was masking it all up ready for paint (as most of you would know). this took a few nights along with quite a few beers out off the fridge.

heatshield for the turbos :D
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

drying rack / painting rack
Posted Image
Posted Image

All these components are going to be visable once the engine is all put back together and in the engine bay. so should look very nice
Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
so whilst i was painting i decided to give the cam gear cover a sand and a paint. this was due to the factory paint being faded in a few spots along with some scratchess.
Posted Image

whilst i had some time i decided what i could get on ebay :D (its dangerous). ended up buying a set of aluminium underdriven pulleys (alternator, power steerting and water pump).
Posted Image
and since i had paint left over i also decided to paint them :D
Posted Image
Posted Image

more painting to come later on in the thread :)
Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
so it was enough cosmetic work and time for some serious mechanical work on the engine.

next step involved taking the bock apart. Not to many images of this as it all happened in a night. :D. Its fast and easy with two people and some beers.

first step obviously involved taking off the sump (along with the pick up and baffle). then it was a case of removing the sump housing. to reveal this
Posted Image
Posted Image

so after a bit of a clean up and a break for a beer Nick and I got back to work. started taking off all the all the components that hold in the crank and pistons together and in place.

eventually got the crank out and there is a bit of weight in it.
Posted Image

after the crank came out th pistons werent far behind at all just needed a little knock and they were out.
Posted Image

once the block was all stripped of all the bearings, washers and oil squirters it got taken out side for and turned upside down and back up to get any left over fluids out of the block. Also gave the outside of the block a clean.
Posted Image
Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

JIMKRAZTEZA
Member Avatar
Custom
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image :-p
Posted Image

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
^^HAHAHAHA nice. and you still sing it in your head when you read it
Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
so now to put it all back together with its new future proof goodies :D This was a very long process! installing the ACL race bearings (main's and bigs) with plasti gauge.
The process of putting plasti gauge on then torquing the bolts down, undoing it again, checking the dimensions of the plasti gauge to the tolerances specified in the manual, then reapplying the bearings and re torquing them. But it is a must!

Posted Image

plasti gauge in action
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

after it was all torqued up it was time to put the reat of the bottom end together (sump housing, pick up, pan ETC)

HOWEVER, we ran into a issue whilst installing the sump housing to the block. we tightened all the bolt up to the right torque specification (was not much). we noticed that some of the screws were making a more turn than the others. until i was tightening up one bolt when SNAP the head of the bolt came off and the thread of the screw was left in the whole!!! :'(.

after this we decided to take all the screws back out. Especially the ones that had taken that little bit longer to tighten up. after we had pulled them out this was the result of a few of them
Posted Image

we believed this was due to leftover sealant on the screws themselves and also inside the thread in the sump housing. this put an end to working on the engine as needed to buy a "extraction" set to get the screw out of the block.

so we ended up opening the fridge :)
Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

KMG
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
so the next night after i had purchased a screw extraction set. which just consists of two drill pieces with the thread direction going the opposite way. so when the drill is in reverse it is trying to turn the screw back out. One drill bit is purely that a dill bit. the other is tapered so it bites into the whole made by the drill bit to unscrew the broken screw.

this is very slow and careful work. taking time to align it up straight so you dont drill the sides of the hole and damage the thread in the block. after around 1.5 hours finally it came out :D YAY. beer time.

the whole it was stuck in
Posted Image

the main culprit
Posted Image

another that we managed to just get out with pliers
Posted Image

after a little brake it was back to work installing the oil pick up and the sump. which went smoothly
Keegan
V300
1G-FE --> 2JZGTE

Posted Image
/img][/url]

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · VIP Members Garage · Next Topic »
Add Reply