Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Altezza Club Of NZ/Australia. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

http://s4.zetaboards.com/lexusaltezzaclub/topic/1148393/1/#new

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Water Leak Help Please?
Topic Started: Apr 22 2015, 02:50 AM (682 Views)
RS Tom-Hundred
Member Avatar
Stock
[ *  * ]
Since doing the engine job (and I also think that maybe before too thinking back and with hindsight on what I saw and cleaned off the engine while it was out) I seem to have a water leak right on the back of the engine!! Really annoying location and very hard to see but it seems to come down off the solid metal pipe and both onto the gearbox and down from there and also further forward onto the block and out near the steering rack/under brace/jacking point area.

I got under there and had a good look and it doesn't leak at all until the engine gets hot and then it seems to come out fairly. Im pretty sure it probably stops or slows down when it cools a bit as it is never much more than a tiny drip after stopping on the driveway.

just trying to get a bit of information on what everything is around the back as there is zero room to see much! i know that the two pipe which go over the top of the engine and go into the bulk head are for the heater system as I flushed those out while the engine was out. I also know that the thin hose coming off and round to the intake side of the engine is for cooling/heating the throttle body but what is the unit which is bolted to the back of the engine (head) where some of these hoses go into please?

Unfortunately, I didn't get a decent photo of the back of the engine while it was out but found a photo online and have some exploded diagrams from the Russian manual

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If anyone has any info on this part and also the various hoses and what they are doing that would be great please :)
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

RS Tom-Hundred
Member Avatar
Stock
[ *  * ]
Anyone got any ideas please?

I'd be interested to know if it works off temperature or pressure maybe? I think it's likely that my leak is coming from it or one of the hoses connected to it and only leaks when the engine is at a certain stage and can take a while so I wondered if it was when it got hot (maybe to send hot water to heat the throttle body?) but that would mean there is some sort of thermostat in there and it doesn't look big enough.

Could be a diaphragm in there to work of pressure but then I'm not sure what its function would be.

Alternatively, it could literally just be a junction for various pipes to meet but it would seem odd to go to the hassle of making a whole separate unit that is this elaborate to bolt tothe head with a gasket.

Just guessing at the moment really though so if anyone has any info on it that would be very useful please :)

I wonder if it is something that Nick or someone at Toyota could get up on the parts system to get a description of what it is maybe?
Posted Image

NZWar4Life
Member Avatar
Body-Kitted
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'll have a look when i get to work tomorrow morning and post up what i can find. :)
Posted Image
2000 RS200Z Turbo
Auckland, New Zealand

Pnut
Member Avatar
cruiser
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Im sure you know when the system is hot the coolant is under pressure, so its probably finding a pin hole somewhere to leak out of when the pressure is high enough. Could be a gasket or sealant, a split in a hose or maybe a hose clip. Does it leak worse or better when the heater is on? Or maybe when the weather changes hot or cold? (thinking expansion and contraction and thermal differences here . . . its part of my job so my head goes there straight away :lol:)

Im curious as to what that thing is though, i have seen it on some other photos on here and wondered the same as you mentioned in the first post why its there and the piping to it.

Let me know if you get stuck and need any of the Russian translated, one of my workmates is Russian so can get him to convert it to Englishski if you send me an image or text ;)
Goldmember - 2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
Posted Image

RS Tom-Hundred
Member Avatar
Stock
[ *  * ]
Thanks guys :)

Its very tricky to say with regard to the effect with heater on or from outside temperature etc so far cos it is hard to see when it is leaking (cos of location) and whether it is still leaking or has been leaking and stopped. All I know is that usually after I have stopped the car either at work in the morning (weather colder) or when i get home in afternoon/evening (weather warmer) there will be a couple of drips on the driveway that have made there way from somewhere on the back of the engine, onto the gear box and dripped off the bottom of that.

On Sunday I had it jacked up on axle stands on the driveway (had been stood there since Saturday morning) and I ran the engine and after a while it started to leak and there was quite a decent trickle that time! (unfortunately, I'm not sure which position the heater or fans were in at the time) Trouble is, i cant see up there well and by that point the exhaust and block are hot so I cant get my hand up there to try and feel where it is wet and where it is dry to locate the leak point.

Only thing I know for sure is that the steel pipe which starts at the thermostat and travels along the exhaust side of the block and round to the back of the engine (terminates at the back left hand corner) has water dripping off it where it bends 90 around the engine on the back right hand corner so I think it must be above that. Like i say the water seems to travel down to to of gearbox around the right side of it and drips off. I also think some goes either down the block or along the hose but comes down somewhere near the engine mount and ends up splashing on the steering rack and jacking point area under the engine too.

That would be helpful, Pnut! :) If you can ask him to look at this diagram and read the text underneath to see what it says for item number 1, that would be brilliant! Thanks :) Seems to have a pretty long name tbh!
Posted Image

Im guessing that number 2 means gasket cos both the gasket where this part joins to the head and also the exhaust manifold gasket are labelled as 2. Number 1 is specifically this part though so that would be handy to know what its called.

Basically, I'm thinking that the more i know about it and what it does, I can replicate the conditions either by getting the car hot or by pressurising the system to make it easier to try and find the leak ;)
Posted Image

allanmloveday
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaad
[ *  *  * ]
It's called the "Water Outlet"

Posted Image

Posted Image
Gunmetal Grey 1999 RS200Z
5AT 6MT J160 Transmission
A01A Open Diff A01B LSD Diff
TRD Yellow Front sway Bar

Posted Image

Pnut
Member Avatar
cruiser
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It will have to be Tuesday as its a long weekend here, longer for me taking today off as well ;)
Goldmember - 2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
Posted Image

RS Tom-Hundred
Member Avatar
Stock
[ *  * ]
Cheers Allan! :) Where did you find that diagram and info by the way? Is it online? Doesn't really tell me much so Toyota haven't really helped much with their description! LOL

Ok Pnut, thanks. Will be interesting what the Russian FSM describes it as :)
Posted Image

allanmloveday
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaad
[ *  *  * ]
I have the Toyota EPC which has all the diagrams. Basically the official version of what ToyoDIY was.
Gunmetal Grey 1999 RS200Z
5AT 6MT J160 Transmission
A01A Open Diff A01B LSD Diff
TRD Yellow Front sway Bar

Posted Image

BBsStormer
Member Avatar
Soccer Mom
[ * ]
We have three 3SGE Beams engines. One instantly overheated, no warning, cooked and we lost it. We have just had another engine do the same thing but picked it up immediately the gauge went skywards.

We are racing them but they are stock with headers. The water leak problem on the one we lost and the one that we caught last weekend are exactly the same. It is the mounting point for a small heat shield that protects the oil coiler hose on the stainless tube running from the pump to the back of the engine. You can only see it if you remove the headers or the heat shield on the headers.

Take a look at the pictures. The one with the hole, and the one still in the car is exactly the same, is where the spot welded tab to point the little heat shield was. It seems to be a weak point and just tears away.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engines Intakes Exhausts · Next Topic »
Add Reply