Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Altezza Club Of NZ/Australia. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

http://s4.zetaboards.com/lexusaltezzaclub/topic/1148393/1/#new

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tyre Advice
Topic Started: Jun 7 2017, 12:58 PM (234 Views)
LordBoBCUP
Soccer Mom
[ * ]
Hi guys,

I need to get a couple of new tyres for the tezza. Currently running 215/45/17 MY-01/MY-02 which are horrible in my opinion. Right now I have 2 worn that I'm going to replace (currently on the back) and the 2 better ones (6mm left) on the front.

Having no real knowledge of tyres, what would the group recommend as new rubber? Its only a daily runner, no track in the foreseeable future. Also would you put the new rubber on the back or on the fronts and move the existing fronts to the back? I'm based on the North Shore (Auckland) any recommendations for places to purchase them from and have them fitted along with a proper alignment?

Thanks
Alex
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pnut
Member Avatar
cruiser
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Probably best to ask what don't you like about the MY-01/MY-02 (assuming they are the potenza's?)?

I've always liked the Bridgestones for driving in the past, but never liked the price.
Goldmember - 2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
Posted Image

LordBoBCUP
Soccer Mom
[ * ]
Hi Pnut,

Mostly, they've never felt as grippy, as if I could push the car as I could before I went down the MY-01/MY-02 route. In fact recently I've even managed to spin the bloody thing, not even doing anything stupid, although that is more likely down to the lower tread depths on the back in the wet, I've just never felt as confident with them as I had some of the older tyres I'd used. (I cant for the life of me remember what I was running before). I only used the Bridgestones as a recommendation when I needed to replace 2 tyres for a wof in a hurry and didn't think too much of it at the time. Then I tried to follow through when the others needed replacing by following the same 'family' of tyre. But ultimately I just have't been that pleased with them.

PlatinumGroot
Soccer Mom
[ * ]
Tyres , always a passionate topic !!
I recently fitted Michelin PS4's to the back of my IS200 in a 235/40/18 size , went for the 235 over the 225 as $30 each cheaper .
My wife's IS250 has Kumo's on it which I'm very happy with and they were a consideration for the 200 , however I wanted a bit more grip.
My budget was up to $200 a corner and I've gone over it as the PS4's were $235 each.
Decided to go to the PS4's as the reviews are out of sight and when I bought them the tyres were quite new to the market so being of the latest design in that spec of tyre.
Well , having had them for about 4 mths now they are WORTH EVERY CENT EXTRA !!!
The grip in the wet is completely awesome !!!
Complete confidence in the wet even when it has just rained for the first time in a while and the road is slippery.
And of course if the grip in the wet is awesome in the dry it is also awesome.
They are slightly softer in the side wall then I might like in the dry and the car rolls over in the tyre sidewall a tiny bit but I will live with this due to the wet weather performance.
I have changed my driving style a tiny bit to compensate for this , I now turn in a wee bit earlier and more to load the tyre more than before and then the more aggressive turn in and this works well.
My wife is due for tyres in about 6 mths and Michelin PS4's will also be going on her car!!
I have Continentals on the front and when the are down to a 1/3 PS4's will be going on the front as well.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Wheels and Tyres · Next Topic »
Add Reply