Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Mushroom Kingdom Fusion Reactor. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SCV3 character discussion.
Topic Started: Jul 25 2010, 07:39 PM (9,245 Views)
Obreck
Member Avatar
MKF Chairman, SCV3 leader/founder, Deranged Coder

Here are the current player notes:

GENERAL PLAYER NOTES:

Controls:

Attack: uses basic attack
Jump: jumps
Sub-Item: uses current sub item, if you have the ammo
Special: Additional button that varies in use for each player.

All players have 4 custom sub-items as well as 1 universal sub-item: the stopwatch.

TREVOR: The whip wielding player. The game's "tank" player.

- His gameplay is modeled very closely after CV4 Simon, which includes mutli-directional whipping, CV4 jump control, and a duck crawl.

- He lacks the whip twirl however, due to the CV4 version being to complicated to code in Game Maker and Trevor already turning out to be a very powerful player in no need of added buffs.

SUBITEMS:

Dagger: typical CV dagger subitem, you throw it and it flies straight forward. However by holding up+subitem button Trevor throws a spread of 3 daggers, at the cost of more hearts.

Axe: typical CV axe, thrown at an upward arc and does good damage. It uses a large sprite like the newer game.

Holy Water: Trevor chucks this at the floor and it bursts into a stream of flames. Normally the stream travels in a horizontal path, but holding up while throwing makes the flames travel in a vertical path, similar to earlier CV games.

Holy Cross: Typical CV boomerang weapon. You throw it forward, it returns. Moves slow but does good damage and passes through thin skinned enemies.

SPECIAL MOVES:

Moonwalk: Holding down the special button causes Trevor to moonwalk. Great for withdrawal tactics, attacking at odd angles on staircases, or making Moonwalker jokes.

GRANT:
Grant is an acrobatic player that can climb walls. His defense is a bit weaker than normal, but he is very agile.

Grant will have both his American melee attack and the Japanese knife throw (up+attack). He can only throw one knife at a time, and they move at NES speed (slow compared to modern CV game daggers).

SUB-ITEMS:

Rebound Stone: A stange gem like item that bounces off walls. More for special tatics than mainstream attacking.

Axe: Similar to Trevor's axe, though will have its own sprites and possibly slightly alter physics.

Bomb: From Haunted Castle. Grant tosses a bomb and it explodes on impact with the ground. Hits hard, but a tad tricky to use.

Cresent Boomerang: The boomerang from CV: Bloodlines. This boomerang makes a sharp upward/downward arc upon returning.

SPECIAL MOVES:

Slide: Pressing jump while ducking causes Grant to do a quick sliding attack, similar to SOTN Richter.

Backflip: Pressing the special button while standing causes Grant to do a backflip similar to Richter's

Spring Jump: Pressing the special button while ducking causes Grant to do a massive vertical jump, similar to Eric Lecarde from Bloodlines. Its horizontal control is very restricted however.

SYPHA: A wizard type player. Her sub-items are overpowered, but her basic attack and defense are rather lacking.

Being its pretty well known now that Sypha is a woman this game will not likely try to conceal it, as was the case in the original game. Would just be an extra headache on the writers and spriters for a surprise spoiled over a decade ago.

SUB-ITEMS:

Fire Tongue: Sypha creates a blast of flames from her hands. Slightly limited in range, but very powerful.

Ice Spell: Sypha releases a radius blast of short range ice shards. The shards do good damage. They also freeze slain enemies, allowing her to stand on them. Or shatter them.

Thunder Orbs: Sypha shoots 3 orbs that home in on the enemies. Do strong damage. They will not be quite as broken as they were in CV3.

Sypha needs one more Sub-Item, but I haven't figured out what it will be yet.

SPECIALS:

Item-Crash: Similar to the Dracula X game Sypha can perform a super attack with her sub-items, at the cost of a lot of hearts.

ALUCARD: Alucard uses a composite of his powers seen though various games.

He uses his sword for his basic attack. It is fast, strong, and can be used at a downward angle. However it is shorter than Trevor's whip.

Sub-Items:

Destruction Orbs: A toned up version of his CV3 attack. It shoots a 3 way spread of limited range fireballs. They do more damage and have more reach then they did in CV3, but consume hearts.

Meteor Attack: One of Alucards SOTN spells. He shoots 2 large flaming orbs that pass through most enemies and do impressive damage. The rate of fire is slow and they consume multiple hearts however.

Special Moves:

Back Dash: A minor evasion move performed when you press the special button while standing.

Bat Morph: Ducking and pressing the special button morphs Alucard into a bat. He can fly, but gradually loses hearts.

Alucard is still WIP, he may get more powers / sub items.

Edited by Obreck, Jul 26 2010, 12:37 AM.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Wow! Sounds like your busy at work with SCV3. With all the moves and options these guys will have this may end being one hell of a cool remake. I hear that with trevors whip twirl being hard it seems as though it would. Well I've added yet another potential custom sypha sheet. She's getting closer to done on terms of movement and actions. No clue really on any item crashes. They are tricky i'm sure and a bit of creativity has to go into it. I'd say i almost like her floating like in the psx version for an item crash not really like a richter item crash. Maybe if she sends 3 balls at an openent she can float and lift her arms up to summon the balls and them like homing missiles project them at the enemy. If they were ice maybe like you said they could freeze enemies. Any how one idea i happen to think of is when she spews fire or ice balls will she use her hands or the rod?? Grant i would imagen would be fairly complicated, actually most complicated. I started trying to sprite him out and found he really needs a hunch,sleek, sneaky type look. He is a bit tricky to animate. The version of sypha i did looks much better. The version of Grant i'm working on looks like he staggers to much. He's in the baby stages not really worth showing anyone yet. I'd like to have something solid to show people. SYpha has minor issues i'd says beside a reliable item crash. It is hard to get her head lined up on the stairs either up/down but neither look to horrid. Perhaps i could shade her leg movements a bit better. And i'm uncertain wether her arm movement are correct enough. Overall, two of my buddies thought she was well done thus far. If you want obreck give a look see, pop her in gm and see at all if ya like. Well her are the actual strips on the sprite sheet beta ver3. Hope ya like!

Posted Image

rukifellth
[ *  * ]
Hmmm, for their appearences, I made some Sypha sprites for a castlevania project, but I dunno if they would work well in this game, as for Grant, will he look like in Judgment? :D

Obreck
Member Avatar

rukifellth
Jul 28 2010, 07:05 PM
Hmmm, for their appearences, I made some Sypha sprites for a castlevania project, but I dunno if they would work well in this game, as for Grant, will he look like in Judgment? :D
No, I hate the Judgement character designs, pretty much all of them. Though the players will be skinnable once the project is done so if anyone wants to create a Judgement style skin pack go for it.

As for the Sypha sprites it depends on their scale and draw style. Though Laslunder has made an almost complete Sypha sprite set for the game already.

Posted Image

TheomanZero
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
rukifellth
I assume that Grant's sprites will be based on the Fake Grant from SotN (like Trevor's). The sprites are available on The Spriter's Resource but a lot more are needed.
I suggested earlier that Grant's melee attack could be a slash while standing or jumping and a stab while crouching, with the slash having a larger hitbox but the stab being faster (similar to Yoko's club/kick in Dawn of Sorrow). Would that be appropriate?
It was also mentioned on the old forum by multiple people (including me) that instead of the controllable whip flail, Trevor could have the automatic spin that featured most memorably in Circle of the Moon. That should be much easier to program (and animate) than the flail, so if it doesn't throw off your vision of Trevor's gameplay, that'd be nice. (Very helpful when the air is full of Medusa Heads!)
Also, here's a minor technical question: Since sub-weapons are assigned to their own button, will they be usable while crouching?
Visit The Wandering Wordsman!

Obreck
Member Avatar

TheomanZero
Jul 28 2010, 10:54 PM
rukifellth
I assume that Grant's sprites will be based on the Fake Grant from SotN (like Trevor's). The sprites are available on The Spriter's Resource but a lot more are needed.
I suggested earlier that Grant's melee attack could be a slash while standing or jumping and a stab while crouching, with the slash having a larger hitbox but the stab being faster (similar to Yoko's club/kick in Dawn of Sorrow). Would that be appropriate?
It was also mentioned on the old forum by multiple people (including me) that instead of the controllable whip flail, Trevor could have the automatic spin that featured most memorably in Circle of the Moon. That should be much easier to program (and animate) than the flail, so if it doesn't throw off your vision of Trevor's gameplay, that'd be nice. (Very helpful when the air is full of Medusa Heads!)
Also, here's a minor technical question: Since sub-weapons are assigned to their own button, will they be usable while crouching?
Trevor is in no need of further buffs/powers, he's quite possibly overpowered as it is. He will not be getting the whip twirl. At this point its a matter of balance, not coding hurdles.

Grant's gameplay plan if still in development. But yes he will look similar to fake Grant from SOTN, though with a palette edit (No pink and green clothes).

Yes players can use sub-items while ducking.
Posted Image

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Oh Darn! I happened to be revamping up some sprites on grant trying different things and it would be unfortunatley very different from what your planning on him being. Well, I should try reworking him a bit. I finally got a walk , up stairs,down stairs, much better implemented though very tedious. It does work well but i'm unsure of his hunchback/slick/sleek type look. I hope it has the feel. The grant i reworked does however,unfortunetely have pink/green clothes. But all tha's really needed is a color edit(it's not as hard as the recreating part for me). I'm not sure about a duck/walk move so i made him Crawl like a baby!!! he he. Any how i've also implemented a nice slide and backflip for the man. the jump was easy but for what ever reason it doesn't quite line up in gmkr i've gotta retweak it. Maybe one less movement there like nes version or something(something seems odd). Overall i really haven't tried the slide or backflip so give a look see and hope he has the feel your looking for i could try and re-color not sure what you're looking for though. Oh and strangely, and oddly enough, i thought aswell myself a slash attack would be cool so i put it as , the crouch attack and not the regular attack. Though either way i'd like to go back and readjust his attack and bring it out further he has a small range. Perhaps he could be quicker/jump higher thatn other characthers at least trevor and sypha. Well not sure what you want either for sypha's item crash but ive got an idea from another character(celia??i think) it will look real cool when i'm done. See what ya think when i'm done with it. I just recently started item crash ideas maybe i'll hash out a few possibles. Oh yeah though unusual but cool, i though Grant could crawl on the ground,wall, or ceiling while holding the knife in his mouth when ready to throw. I didnt sprite that yet but was considering it. Anywho i wanna go back and retweak some of sypha's movements aand get her looking even better hopefully this time realeasing some sort of final with item crash available. Ok now, hope all goes smooth on the project., i wanna get back to my work. Happy spriteing & gaming!!! Oh here's the link to custom grant

http://img801.imageshack.us/i/grantdanastycustomsprit.png/
Edited by Laslunder, Jul 30 2010, 01:50 AM.

Obreck
Member Avatar

Wow! Those are some very nice Grant sprites. He pretty much has all I was needing to complete him. But if you want to experiment with his animations go ahead.

I should be able to palette swap you Grant sprites to the color set I want.

And Grant & Alucard will be able to jump better than Trevor & Sypha.

Do not worry about Sypha's item crash spells just yet. Mainly all's she needs an epic pose for when she's casting an item crash, similar to how Ricther poses.

I'll probably start a discussion on attack part of Sypha's crashes once she is in development.
Edited by Obreck, Jul 30 2010, 02:56 AM.
Posted Image

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Oh Cool! Yeah I recently discovered from richter poses that i may not have all the animations for grant's backflip. Not sure really there needs to be more than i'll recreate them. But as i was saying yesterday i had at least some ideas on sypha item crash well i would just like to throw them out there. They are not yet complete and i still have to clean up the strip it's a bit messy and what not. But either way i will post these ideas here :

http://img814.imageshack.us/i/syphaplayerwalkstrip.png/

TheomanZero
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
As for Sypha's final sub-item, I have a fairly simple idea, but it may not be what you're looking for:
Light: Restores Sypha's health when used, but has a hefty heart cost (similar to the Herb in Castlevania Chronicles).
Item Crash: Makes Sypha temporarily invulnerable.

Obreck
Member Avatar

TheomanZero
Jul 30 2010, 03:29 PM
As for Sypha's final sub-item, I have a fairly simple idea, but it may not be what you're looking for:
Light: Restores Sypha's health when used, but has a hefty heart cost (similar to the Herb in Castlevania Chronicles).
Item Crash: Makes Sypha temporarily invulnerable.
If there is a health spell, it would be the item crash with some mundane normal attack.

An item that gives invulnerablity would just be too exploitable.
Posted Image

EvilMariobot
Member Avatar
So, who want's an ICBM?
[ *  *  *  * ]
I've got some ideas for Sypha's final sub-weapon. Since we've got Fire, Ice and Thunder, we could use Earth, Wood or Wind.

Earth based ideas
-a ground-based wave of rock travels the length of the platform or screen; medium power, pierces enemies, medium heart cost
-a long range stone or crystal spear; high power, pierces enemies, high heart cost
-a full screen earthquake; Medium power, harms anything on the ground or is attatched to the wall/ceiling, high heart cost.

Wood based ideas
-a flurry of 3 or 5 thorns; each thorn=knife power, medium heart cost
-a seed that tangles and immobilizes an enemy with vines when it hits; causes no damage, medium heart cost.
-a long range rose spear thrown forward; Medium power, pierces
enemies, medium heart cost

Wind based ideas
-a small tornado summoned directly ahead; low power but stackable damage, medium heart cost.
-a wind bullet that turns into the previously mentioned tornado upon impact; same damage, High heart cost.
-a long range crecent shaped gust of wind; low power, pierces enemies, low heart cost.
Edited by EvilMariobot, Jul 30 2010, 10:16 PM.
Skin Mods:
Posted Image 100% http://www.sendspace.com/file/5q2dpq
Posted Image 100% http://www.sendspace.com/file/cgnmc4
Posted Image 100% http://www.sendspace.com/file/fm72y7
Posted Image 100% http://www.sendspace.com/file/zltl76
Posted Image 100% http://www.sendspace.com/file/bvx20a

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Hey Guys it's hasn't been that long since i had a few more ideas. Although i didn't mess around too much with either grant or sypha, i added a throw attack option for grant's sprite strip at the bottom of the beta2 version sheet. I also added an alternative walk to the right of his first walk strip. There comparisons can be made between the two. Personally both look pretty good to me neither really dominating the other in appereance but. The new one probably has more of a grant feel and actually may look more like he did in the nes 8-bit version. I may go back soon and try to extend his stab attack so he's out further. It'll probably work. OH one thing i forgot when he climbs, i may need to add atleast one sprite animation i saw in the 8bit version on youtube. It's when he go's from one angle of a bunch of floor blocks to other ones. Like if he were crawling upside down and then went to a block set that was up left. He needs a tuck in crouch type crawl. I'll try to look at 8 bit version and morph a 16 bit one. Other than that and i'm guessing he's probably close to done. Unless i can find i or someone else thinks he needs to be perfected more. For Sypha beta 4 sheet i've added at the bottom a potential item crash(just a possible of course). I've also in this version fixed one of here cape movement special when she walks/attacks up the stairs diagonally. I've recently also took away here old walk up the stairs and put in what i feel is a more perfected version. It is in the same place the other stairs walk up was. Yeah, in a sense i feel i'm getting closer on both of these characters, very close actually. Anywho here are my Grant beta 2 and Sypha beta 4 version:

http://img823.imageshack.us/i/grantdanastycustomsprit.png/
http://img836.imageshack.us/i/syphabelnadescustomspri.png/
Edited by Laslunder, Aug 1 2010, 05:11 PM.

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Just updated grant beta v2 really like 2.5 not enough for an official next version beta. So, basically with the earlier post i did on grant, i just simply added,to the bottom left, the crawl around corners move. It looks ligit i hope it works well in game. Ignore(just),the prior grant pic above and check out this one! Enjoy!

http://img834.imageshack.us/i/grantdanastycustomsprit.png/

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Just made a slight adjustment to grant's attack range with the knife. It stretches out a little further. Not by much, but it seems more grant esk. It is at the very bottom of the sprite sheet. Here's the link:

http://img44.imageshack.us/i/grantdanastycustomsprit.png/

Obreck
Member Avatar

Laslunder
Aug 6 2010, 10:51 AM
Just made a slight adjustment to grant's attack range with the knife. It stretches out a little further. Not by much, but it seems more grant esk. It is at the very bottom of the sprite sheet. Here's the link:

http://img44.imageshack.us/i/grantdanastycustomsprit.png/
Keep up the good work. Those Grant/Sypha sprites are coming along nicely.

Alucard has had his Sub-Items list completed. He now has 4 sub-items like every other player is intended too:

Orbs of Destruction: Alucard's CV3 attack. Limited in range and damage, but they have a high rate of fire, fast cast time, and are Alucard's least expensive sub-item:

Posted Image

Fireballs: One of Alucard's more recognized powers, inspired from Dracula himself:

Posted Image

Alucard Sword Special: A power Alucard was able to use with his trademark sword, turned into a sub-item. Alucard projects a clone of himself that turns around to attack before returning to him. Like in SOTN and DoS Alucard is immune to damage while performing this move, but it has been nerfed so the clone does one slash instead of two. Still an outstanding evasion/tactical sub-item:

Posted Image

Meteors: Another Dracula inspired attack. The meteors are very powerful, but very costly and have a slow cast time:

Posted Image
Edited by Obreck, Aug 7 2010, 06:03 AM.
Posted Image

TheomanZero
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Looking great! Can't wait to see more.

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

I have a question to ask about alucard. I got a chance to look around and find sprite sheets on spriters resource and what not, but i have possitively found no sprites of him using stairs. Maybe it's just me but i don't think there were any stairs in sotn where there? either way are you using the same death in that game for him with the blood shed, or a custom made death like other castlevania characters example being trevor. I suppose that's all i wanted to know. If anyone sees my sprites on grant and sypha please let me know what i could improve and i'll do my best to enhance them. I'd like to release a final at some point for those two, but i'd prefer they look and feel of professional grade quality before releasing a final. Are they're any other moves you guys could think of seeing them have i could create. Or are all the enchancements close to what you'd prefer. That's cool to with a grant color edit. Keeping the colors secret makes it all the more fun. IF however you decide to allow selectable skin colors, may i suggest at least having all of their original colors from sotn like the ones i recreated. It's seems cool to have that option. I happened to see the level with the werewolf from por i think he looks crazy. But were are the actual wolves from i dunno what game there from. You know who is a crazy ass boss but you'd have to take the hp way down on would be Galamoth. That guys is frickin' ridicoulus. In sotn i faught him with richter and died like 30 times before finally realizing the knife needed to be launched in his head. No holy on him it didn't do jack.

Obreck
Member Avatar

SOTN Alucard doesn't have stair animations. However I received a set of custom sprites for him years ago that included stair animations, so he has stair animations in my game.
Posted Image

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Hey that's cool. Do you know if your friend posted his animations online or are they on the DL? Just wanted to know because i wanted to go an recreate a new alucard look. I saw something that gave me and idea on one of the castlevania sites maybe vgmuseum or something. I don't remember. But i've already started working on a revised alucard. I'm sure the sotn version is most preferable with you. But i wanted to try at some point to finish a sheet of new alucard look animations. Those stairs animations would definetly help me at some point complete the sheet. Well it'd be cool if you led me to them,but if it's something you'd rather not share i'd totally understand. I will just recreate them myself to complete the new look sheet i'm trying to create even though it'll take a while either way. If your cool with it obreck, but wanna keep it sorta secretive and you'd rather PM me that's cool too. One more thing i wanna ask is alucard gonna have different sword's he gains like powers or is it just one sword? One last question probably silly though is will any character's have the ability like richter to run in the game?

Obreck
Member Avatar

Well actually now that you mention it there is already another artist working on a custom Alucard sheet. A YouTube fan by the name ReikoKahn.

What he has made so far is very promising and almost complete, so no need for you to start on Alucard.

Gameplay wise Alucard is complete and coded. He has a sword upgrade similar to Trevor's, but don't expect any dramatic sword different like in the Castleroids.
Posted Image

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Ok yeah that's cool. I'll have to check that guy out. Not that i want to burden you with this but if you've been on youtube it's probably no suprise to you , that some guy out there and his friend are making their version of a castlevania 3 game called Legend of castlevania, i saw it the other day when i typed in fan games. I do this from time to time to see what cool games people come up with. That's actually how i found out about your games super vampire killer and castlevania 3. Well I didn't mean to be a back breaker by telling you this,sorry if this affends, but i thought i might let you know just in case you may want to know. Oh yeah one other thing i want to ask that's of interest. Now i know they come late in the game as bosses. But when you fight a dopplehanger boss will it be the evil version of whatever charcter your using like say i fight grant and i fight(dopplehanger grant) not dopplehanger trevor. In sotn for psx im using richter and i never once fought myself. I end up fighting instead dopplehanger alucard(kinda lame). I was under the assumption i'd fight evil richter.

reiko26
Member Avatar
Master Editor

hey mike this is reikokahn, i would like to say thnx for choosing my custom asprites. also i would like to bring it to your attention, that i have completed the spritesheets by 95% but there are some on there that i have never seen before so i would assume that they are custom made,thats great but they will need to be scaled up to the size of sprites that im using b/c when i blow them up, they have the tendancy to loose pixels. ill shoot you the ones that are completed but the ones that are not are the ones that i would like to be resized. atleast it would be less trouble for me if you could do that for me. ill send it to your youtube file ok. thanx for your time and patience and great job on supercastlevania 3. i cant get enough of the demo lol.

Obreck
Member Avatar

Maybe I sent you the wrong link. Here let me send the sprites again:

Posted Image

I included one last animation I forgot to include as well, but this should be able of them.
Edited by Obreck, Aug 11 2010, 04:09 PM.
Posted Image

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Oh hey there! Everything looks to be coming along great so far with this project. I've also seen the mini and regular boss implemented in the swamp stage, Looks great! I was wondering Obreck if you think there might be a site online like spriter's resource or something that might take might sprites even though there custom made for use. If they would i'd probably throw them up online there,but obviously not until your project was done. I forgot to ask also on grant with the turn around the corners crawl move will he need more animations for that or anything else you can think of? Same with Sypha, any other animations that seems to be needed or is she feeling up to your expectations atleast animation completion wise. I may try to go back and soup up some things on her and him, touch them up a bit ya know.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Super Castlevania 3 · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Hosted for free by ZetaBoards
Skin based on BoHeGeHa by OverTheBelow (IFSZ)