Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Mushroom Kingdom Fusion Reactor. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Mushroom Kingdom Fusion's FAQ; READ BEFORE PLAYING (Updated March 25, 2011)
Topic Started: Oct 7 2010, 04:45 PM (10,746 Views)
Del
Member Avatar
Spriter, level designer, coder, etc.

NOTICE: READ THE FOLLOWING FAQ BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS. IF YOU ARE TOO LAZY TO READ THIS FAQ, WE ARE TOO LAZY TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS WE HAVE ALREADY ANSWERED HERE. BUT NOT TOO LAZY TO DELETE YOUR POSTS WITHOUT EXPLAINING.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

Q. IS THIS A HACK/DO I NEED AN EMULATOR TO PLAY THIS???

A. You have no idea how many times we've seen this question or variations of it. THIS IS NOT A HACK. This is a custom-made fangame created using Game Maker and using a heavily edited version of the Hello Engine.

THIS IS NOT A HACK. YOU DON'T NEED AN EMULATOR. STOP ASKING.

Q. HOW DO I DO _____ IN-GAME?

A. If you have a question about the game, please read the readme files and the in-game help (press F1 in the game) before posting help questions.

Q. WHEN WILL THE NEXT VERSION BE RELEASED?

A. Do not ask about release dates for the next version. We do not give out release dates. Why? If we announce a date and we miss it, people will get disappointed. New versions will be released as they get done.

Q. WHAT WILL BE IN THE NEXT VERSION?

A. Actually, don't ask anything at all about the new version. We'll release info on the new version when and if we feel like it.

And don't ask this kind of stuff for SMF:R either! Or KRPG! Or Super Castlevania III! Or any project, for that matter!

Q. I FOUND A BUG! WHERE CAN I REPORT IT?

A. If you have a bug or an error you wish to report, post it in the Bug Reports forum.

Q. THE GAME ISN'T LOADING! IS IT BROKEN?

A. If you are experiencing problems with MKF not loading, this is because of GM loading everything before letting you play. This problem is well known and is constantly being addressed. In the meantime, just wait and give it more time to load, or just wait until a later version is released.

Q: Why does MKF run so slow in my computer?
A: MKF is made with Game Maker 8, a great tool to create games, but not the best to manage resources so it will consume a lot, and the game has grown to have massive contents in it. If it's slow, your computer is probably too old or busy, these are the minimum requirements, but, if it still doesn't run at full speed, follow the tips posted below:

-2.0 GHz processor
-1.2 GB RAM
-Windows XP or superior

Tips to improve the performance:
-Close everything else running in your computer
-Set MKF's memory priority usage to High or Very High in the task manager
-Make sure your computer is well ventilated and clean, dust and heat can affect its performance
-When playing, use the keys "1" and "2" to increase or decrease the game's FPS.

Q: Where is the controller support?
A: Game Maker has joystick support, but it was very poorly added. It is flat out missing some play control functions vital MKF.

Even worse there is no way to make controllers´╗┐ feature customizable buttons. Being controllers come in so many different layouts there is no way to make a "1 size fits all" button layout or a way to add a controller configure to the options.

Its not that we don't want to add controller support. Its that we CAN'T add controller support :( Get Joy2Key, Xpadder or another joystick emulator. Google Joy2Key or Xpadder for the links.

Q: The game screws up my mouse and keyboard, it makes my computer highlight a bunch of icons or text if I click anywhere on my screen when I close it, it also causes it to type on caps and I have to restart the computer!!!
A: This is a problem with Game Maker, some times it causes the SHIFT key to "stay pressed" when you close or minimize the game. To fix it just press shift and control at the same time once, every time it happens, or turn off the sticky keys in your windows configuration.

Q: Where do I save the game?
A: You can't. Game Maker's built in save system does not work with MKF, it crashes the game in fact. Thus we will have to build a manual one. Doing so will require the game be much closer to final release than it is now, otherwise making a save system would be pointless. For now you can access all content except stuff behind map gates. To get past them instantly, press Page Up for now.

Q: How do I set the game to start in full screen mode?

A: STEP 1: Open the file "MKFusion.ini" with a text editor. Notepad will do the trick.

STEP 2: Find this line:

"fullscreen = false"

Replace it with:

"fullscreen = true"

STEP 3: Save the ini file and your done.

Q: How do I switch players? I see not HQs on the map anymore.
A: Press enter on the world map at any time. Select "Player Select".

Q: How do I select Protoman/Zero/Classic Luigi?
A: For Protoman select Roll with the fire button. For Zero select Vile with the fire button. For Classic Luigi select Classic Mario with the fire button.

Q: How do I change music or player skins?
A: Look in the /music or /external/players folders. Look at the folder of the character you want to replace and override the current files with your replacement files, and make sure your new sprites are well aligned and in the same scale of the original character's ones.

Q: How do I change controls / configure keys?
A: Push F10 on the Start Screen to configure them. Just wait for the game to ask you what key to replace every action i.e. Up, Run, etc., and press the new key.

Q: The autoinstaller fails for me.
A: The autoinstaller has been tested from the download link to ensure that the upload was good. No problems were encountered during installation on the devs' end. If you do encounter an error during installation, it is very likely your download got corrupted. Try downloading the installer again. If you continue to get errors, definitely report the error message you get so we can address it.

Q: The "Player Select" option doesn't work in stages.
A: It isn't meant to be available in stages, the pause menu still needs refinement. Later that option will be replaced with a "player help" menu when in stages. The player help menu will list your current player's moves/gameplay tips.

Q: How do you clear long jumps with Protoman?
A: Jump while performing the slide. This gives Protoman a speed he needs to clear longs jumps. Mastering the slide jump is vital to play Protoman. If you can't adapt to it, stick with Roll.

Q: The game still lags!
A: We have done much to improve the game's performance, but much still needs to be done we admit. Even then some real old PCs may still lag, due to the software and the scale of the game we're building.

Q: There are a lot of levels I can't enter.
A: Those levels don't exist yet or are being worked on.

Q: When/What version will be the next release?
A: No idea. When its done and how much more is added. We don't give out release dates because we are doing this as a hobby, thus are hard pressed to keep such deadlines, most likely to miss them.

Q: Why aren't there any new characters since 0.31? I want Kirby/Samus/etc!
A: Well a bunch of other issues came up that took priority. I'd go into the details, but they are long and boring. In reality the mass influx of characters in past releases was due to long runs of no true development direction and way too much free time with the master source in my hands. I got a bit carried away perhaps I admit, setting a wild standard of roster bloat. The next public release will likely feature new players added however.

Q: Don't you think the player roster is excessive as is? I liked it when it was just Mario exploring worlds alone.
A: No, the player roster is one of MKF's points of appeal, and one of the points of appeal that makes it different from sister project Super Mario Fusion Revival. If you don't care for the additional players, just use Mario throughout the game. He is more than capable of clearing all the stages.

Q: Don't you think something should be done about all the sprite clashing?
A: Well lets see... We don't have the man power to fix the many thousands of pieces of art the game contains. And for every person that complains about sprite clashing another person says they prefer it for how it enhances the manic crossover feel. So no, there is not enough favor in opinion or anywhere close to the resources to fix it, so instead we have sided with those who favor it and chosen to embrace the clashing of art styles in MKF.

Q: Where there be a version for the Mac?
A: Until YoYo Games releases a version of Game Maker for the MacIntosh, it will not be possible. When YYG will release a Mac Game Maker, we do not know.
v READ THE FAQ

---> http://s4.zetaboards.com/mkfusion/topic/8079134 <---

READ THE FAQ ^
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Game Releases · Next Topic »
Locked Topic

Hosted for free by ZetaBoards
Skin based on BoHeGeHa by OverTheBelow (IFSZ)