Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Mushroom Kingdom Fusion Reactor. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
WIP level -Sunken City of Atlantis
Topic Started: Jul 26 2011, 11:56 PM (1,226 Views)
Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Ok well to start,I introduce the sunken city of atlantis. Mostly finished, all that is left is a stairs edit tweak in i believe room 7 to the left staircase. Also their is a supposed to be hidden item in one room but do to the fact i'm not sure how exactly to put it in it will look akward. Maybe obreck could add some code to random tiles so the secrets are not spotted easily. You'll know what i mean once you see a fountain with a waterfall flowing from it. Also it took me several attempts to edit certain parts of this level to get it up to par. I was not willing to leave well enough alone if you know what i mean. Also this level will install pain in your mind after you die several times. I should write a warning label WARNING: You may find yourself pulling your hair out. The level is not easy, not at all. Doable just not easy. Fortunate for you i put up a video that shows an easy way through it, i probably shoudnt' have. But at least this will give you a good idea of what the level will be like. I intentionally had some waterfalls put behind and infront of the player this way it looks like the player is in the level not at the edge of one side of it. You may notice that in some rooms it goes black temporarily. It has to do with foregrounds. Apparently if your player starts in a room's view of a foreground this happens. I don't know how to fix that. I'm hoping obreck will figure that out. I did realize that instead of making some things like a bridge a foreground, i could make it an object in the game. This may make the 1 second blackscreen glitch not happen. I don't know but also if i add objects it will cluster up the size of the game so keep that in mind people. Oh i forgot to mention no sound once again from my pc. BUt in actuality there is sound ingame of course. Also on a few last notes the mid boss and boss are mere placeholders. They are not gonna be used here so don't be worried about that. Obreck plans to put in 2 new ones for this stage. Although they will have to be coded to shift the view left cause these bosses shift back to the right which is not supposed to happen. Thus it looks weird and if coded to shift left everything would be normal. Also one last thing the rooms with fake doors that you move through are supposed to have real moving left doors that move you through the room to the left. Obreck still has to code that in too. So when the time comes the fake doors will be replaced with the real ones to move the player left. Well with all that being said. I leave you with a darn near finished Sunken City of Atlantis!!

[utube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKWd9wwBxmA[/utube]
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TheomanZero
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Good-looking level. It seems pretty full and challenging, with a lot of platforming (definitely not a Sypha level). For a level this long, I think there should be a few more non-heart items in the candles (sub-weapons, rosaries, Double/Triple shots, invincibility, maybe even an extra life?).
By the way, is every level going to have slight changes to the layout depending on the difficulty, like the level in the demo?
Visit The Wandering Wordsman!

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Cool that you like it. I spent many hrs on it. Thanks! I kinda think yeah maybe i could take a few candles out barring what they are and what they do. I'm not exaclty sure how the hearts candles work. I think after you get a big one and like 4 smalls then you get the upgrade. So yeah maybe i could take out a couple big ones here or there. Ah i made sure not to put a weapon in every room just in like every 2 rooms. This way it will not be too weapon clustered. Yeah when i realized you can max out on hearts that doesn't make much sense huh? Well maybe if your right at the end perhaps. BUt difficutly wise it is right up there with the swamp stage or aquaducts. Not easy really at all. You have a better chance for success taking the route in the level i did(shortcuts). Some of this can be done only with alucard though. It's funny that you mentioned sypha. Cause i also beat it with her and trevor. Not with gratn and trevor. I think sypha would do ok(though harder than with alucard). Trevor seems fine in this level but you have to be patient with him. With grant all i can say is good luck. He is far too weak to be able to get through it alone. You'll almost indefeintly have to mostly use trevor with him. Not only that. I think there's only a couple of spots alucard and grant can reach so if use grant i'd only use him on an as needed basis in this level unless you wanna get your *ss handed to by the monsters. Oh and as for the level i'm not quite sure what you mean. I was told this level is too be made mostly custom. So i did so. Towards the end the 3rd from last room is literally 2 rooms in nes cv3 atlantis meshed into 1 room. All the block tiles you step on are pretty dead on(not the scenery of course). Also the area where you fight the boss is exactly the same too. Past that i'm not sure what obreck wants for the level. I can say this time i set it up so that he has miinimal coding to do in the level. Just take the fake doors out and replace them with real left shifting coded doors. Same with the bosses. Past that i think you may come across the rooms in easy modes and not see anything. Just keep going through it. Will the rooms dissapear. I don't know. I think they'd be there unless their was an object coded telling that room to make the boss area dissapear on say, easy mode or something. Honestly i don't know what obreck wants so the sooner i can contact him and give him this is the sooner he can prepare another demo. I still have one more choir to do. So i plan on getting on that reall soon. Probably by tommorow. Say if anyone sees obreck on this site tell him to pm me or contact me via email. Ok dudes later!
Edited by Laslunder, Jul 27 2011, 01:19 PM.

reiko26
Member Avatar
Master Editor

the stage is very nice looking. looks to be very competetive too. seems to be a little easy with alucard.

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Eh. Well there's little i can do along the ways of making it harder for alucard. He can fly pretty much anywhere. But either way if your not careful you can still die with him like say getting hit with medusa heads over a pit. Your pretty much screwed at that point. However one distinct advantage i find alucard has over everyone else is the fact if he's over a pit and is gonna fall to his death he can do a bat transform. This is cool imo cause you can save yourself from death. I gotta say though it's seems a handicap it can come in handy on stages like this. Grant seriously suffers the most on this. Doable with trevor and sypha it's a tad harder than with alucard. Sypha's weaponry imo is awesome but in the nes version i remeber it being even more powerful than in this game. I thinke her powers were the strongest in the game. Stronger than alucards' sword or trevor's whip. Grant i really like his additions cause in the nes version he's too weak and were as he's weak here at least he has more of a fighting chance. I don't ever remeber beating nes cv3 with grant. Way too hard imo. Sypha,trevor and alucard i did it with. Sypha was by far the easiest depending on what special weapon you have. Either way i gotta hand it to obreck i really like what he's done to the players in the game. My only concern is that sypha's powers probably could be a tad stronger against some enemies or bosses that's about it. You know it's off the subject but what might be kinda cool for sypha is a short transport burst. Another words you hit a button like the equivalent to alucard's bat morph in mid air and she transports to another platform(kinda like zelda in smash bros brawl). I think this would be good for her imo cause then 2 players could save themselves from pitfalls instead of just alucard. It's omly a suggestions. But i think maybe a combo with the clock watch and her being able to do this would be cool.

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Sorry for the double post. But eh Reiko makes a good point. The purple background needs to be changed to blue. My original intent was for it to be water but i forgot entirely to change it. So i've done so all the backdrops with purple will now be blue exepct the sun area and mountains that'll stay the same. He also brought up another point which hits quite nicely and i dont' know how i missed it. In scv4 for the snes. Theirs a level that has columns and greek/roman buildings i totally missed this apparently. I will recolorize and add them into certain aspects of the level to give it a more atlantis type feel. My bad 2 big misses. Now it'll really feel atlantis like. Maybe i'll even repost a new video. I still got a tad bit of enhancing to do. So i'll get to work on it.

EvilMariobot
Member Avatar
So, who want's an ICBM?
[ *  *  *  * ]
When you do make a new video, try adding in some music in whatever video editing software you use. Otherwise, this level looks good; in a long and difficult sort of way.
Edited by EvilMariobot, Jul 27 2011, 09:21 PM.
Skin Mods:
Posted Image 100% http://www.sendspace.com/file/5q2dpq
Posted Image 100% http://www.sendspace.com/file/cgnmc4
Posted Image 100% http://www.sendspace.com/file/fm72y7
Posted Image 100% http://www.sendspace.com/file/zltl76
Posted Image 100% http://www.sendspace.com/file/bvx20a

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Um well the problem is my pc not so much the program. I'm not actually sure what i did in the mad forest vid to make it have sound if i find out then i'll add it or maybe i'll just add imbed music or something. Sorry if i don't figure it out. Either way i'm reworking the level. That it is a Work in progress. I added some of those scv4 background pillars and some trees in corner areas giving it a much more atlantis feel. If you've seen teh blood fountain it looks cool but Reiko made a good point of perhaps saving that for say dracula's level or deathn's or something. Besides it drops below where ther really it sorta comes out as regular water. It doesn't exactly make sense i'm just glad no one caught on to that. Eitehr way i may just turn it all blue. But that means i'll have to edit the fountain blue aswell. That could be a little bit of a process to get the right colors. I can't just colorize. I will probably have to manually edit all the colors. Either way i'll probably get to that tommorow.

EvilMariobot
Member Avatar
So, who want's an ICBM?
[ *  *  *  * ]
If you have Windows Movie Maker, you can edit music in there if it's in a format that it can recognize (mp3 for instance).
Skin Mods:

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Um ok i've never messed around with it. Well if i can figure it out that's cool or maybe i'll just post some newer screenshtos. That's easy enough. Besides EvilMarioRobot the music is mad forest music. I don't know how to put a song and use the music ini file correctly. Only obreck nows about it. Either way i keep regurgetating the same song throughout all the new levels i buiit. When he gets the engine i'm sure he'll change it to what he wants'. Plus someone mentioned something about the candles i got in the level. Well i put a bunch in that i thought would be good in certain areas. Perhaps too much in certain areas. It's hard to tell what is good where sometimes. SO if mike wants to change that he's more than welcome. I don't mind. Well honestly i changed teh fountain to water and made teh fountian you see in the video blue with a gold top like it already is. Reiko makes a good point about me originally having a blood fountain. Maybe i could save that for later like a fountain in Drac's castle somewhere. That'd be cool huh? I added soem more nice back drops. Fixed up a bunch of sloppy areas too. So far there's not much more i can do to improve it. So i think at this point it's pretty done. Minus the foreground blackscreen issue it's good to go. I have to talk to obrevck about that cause if he can't add code to fix the problem then i cant insert objects instead of foregrounds. They'll just have to appear infront of the player which i believe i increase the depth of the obj. So with that being said it's pretty much a done deal. Oh wait what's this it's mike's B-Day. Happy B-Day dude. Well i can upload it whenver. Probably put it in is pm box or give him the link at his email. I'll look into windows movie maker.
Edited by Laslunder, Jul 29 2011, 12:01 AM.

TheomanZero
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
This may be none of my business Laslunder, but it would be easier to read your posts if you broke them up into paragraphs.

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Yeah i have a tendacy to cluster a bunch of ideas. I'll try and take note on that. Well for now at least i've pm'd mike so i guess he gets the update when he's on. As for the video well i got somethings to take care of tommorow if i can get to it than i'll post it up(hopefully with at least an mp3 playing)

Nadoovi
Greenhorn
[ * ]
The stage is good, generally. But there are some things that bother me.

First of all, the sunset background. You used this background for all over the stage. I love the sunset background, I think it is beautiful, but you used this background too much. Remember the Bloodlines stage of Atlantis? There are about four different backgrounds in this stage. And the sunset is used only in the beginning.
I think you should use more backgrounds for this stage.
Also, the forest tiles that appears in the beginning of the stage, doesn't look good. It doesn't feet together with the stage. It makes the stage looks scattered and comfusing. Too many details in the background.
I don't like the enemy selection in this stage. I think some enemies don't fit the Atlantis stage. Ghosts, bats and skeletons should be replaced by skeledragons, bone scimitars, ravens and water skulls (from Rondo of Blood).

But again, the stage itself is good. The level design and the graphic is great.
I think the mid boss should be the water megician from bloodlines or serpent, and the boss should be bone dragon king (or Skeleton dragon from Chronicles).
About the music....it should be a peaceful track. Like Wandering the crystal blue, or The hidden curse.

WhiteRoseBrian
Member Avatar
Who's a stallion and a half? I'm a stallion and a half!

This might work too.

[utube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9e7SW7wdK4[/utube]
Come see my drawings on DeviantArt
http://whiterosebrian.deviantart.com/

"Love to throw yourself on the earth and kiss it...Love all men, love everything...Don't be ashamed of that ecstacy, prize it, for it is a gift of God and a great one; it is not given to many, but only to the elect."
--Zosima, Brothers Karamazov

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Well honestly i'm thinking this. THe genesis stage that hosted all these backgrounds, well out of all of them it came down to 2 good ones. The one i used and a pirate ship background. The pirate ship didnt quite make sense. But i suppose if the level comes after the pirate ship maybe you would see it in the background.

Their was one decent night time background. But how would the transition be from sunset to night time. Look where the sun is in the background. I suppose i could go back and give it a try making some later stages have the night time feel to them. Past that all those genesis backgrounds for that level pretty much suck.

So i may even look else where for some good backgrounds. Well not all of the stage props came from the genisis game. Which i player. I wasn't amped on some of it's stages i'll tell you. Sotn/scv4/rondo have much better backgrounds, stage props. Either way the tileset imo was pretty good. Obreck hinted to use that tileset from the greek area in bloodlines. I thought it fit the them quite nicely too. Oh and the forestry well that's totally needed dude. ALl but perhaps teh background imo i could see making a swithc at. Do you even know how long it took to make waterfalls that go in front of the player. Man this was like countless hrs.

I do admit if i can improve it i will. But past the background changes i don't really plan on reworking the whole stage.I kinda keep checking areas and they seem pretty sunken atlantis to me. I even added those pillar backgrounds from scv4. Well either way it's sorta the vision i had. I hope when all is said and done it's up too par for you guys. One thing is certain this level is mostly a custom level.

Anotherwords it doesn't exactly follow the nes version to a t. It was intended that it be custom mostly anyway. As for bosses, i don't know that's not up for me to decide.
OH and one last thing is, the video is not the final version. At least not anymore. I've went back and rechanged alot of stuff so the scv4 pillars aren't even in the video. Though they defienlty make it look more atlantis!
Edited by Laslunder, Jul 29 2011, 11:59 AM.

reiko26
Member Avatar
Master Editor

Nadoovi
Jul 29 2011, 07:32 AM
The stage is good, generally. But there are some things that bother me.

First of all, the sunset background. You used this background for all over the stage. I love the sunset background, I think it is beautiful, but you used this background too much. Remember the Bloodlines stage of Atlantis? There are about four different backgrounds in this stage. And the sunset is used only in the beginning.
I think you should use more backgrounds for this stage.
Also, the forest tiles that appears in the beginning of the stage, doesn't look good. It doesn't feet together with the stage. It makes the stage looks scattered and comfusing. Too many details in the background.
I don't like the enemy selection in this stage. I think some enemies don't fit the Atlantis stage. Ghosts, bats and skeletons should be replaced by skeledragons, bone scimitars, ravens and water skulls (from Rondo of Blood).

But again, the stage itself is good. The level design and the graphic is great.
I think the mid boss should be the water megician from bloodlines or serpent, and the boss should be bone dragon king (or Skeleton dragon from Chronicles).
About the music....it should be a peaceful track. Like Wandering the crystal blue, or The hidden curse.
I agree that the stage is Good and that nadoovi may have a point about the background of sunset being recylcled through the stage. I dont know why i didnt catch that from the begining.

There are multiple backgrounds on the atlantis stage in bloodline. but i wouldnt recommend using those other backgrounds from the game. Hey Las, do you remember the dark atlantis ruins prop i sent you? Maybe that could work for you too. as for the last boss battle, It should be a closed in invironment instead of seeing the background. remember i suggested that to you?

as for the enemies for the stage. i like the skeletons but having skeledragons would make sense and maybe some water skulls where the fountain is.

I can do some pallete swapping for fishman too or make up something extra for the level, like a new creature.

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Yes i agree maybe i can cahnge some backgrounds. The last area with the boss could use maybe a waterfall,trees soemthing i don't know. But either way i totally agree on the skeletondragons whatevr those things are. I wanted to put them in certain doorway areas. But obreck only coded them to go right to left. If he codes them left to right in other words them point there heads to the right. THen i'll be good and can add them in. All this is up to him. So when atlantis is finally tweaked, hopefully to perfection, We can finally get some enemies in that level that belong there. Most of them i sorta like but to replace say a skelton or a bat with a skeletondragon is a hugh deal i agree.

Shodian
Member Avatar
Shadow Ninja

Shodian's guide to adding music to Super Castlevania III

Step 1:

Add desired music to the "music" folder

Step 2:

Open up the scv3music.ini file. Copy the following and put in the folder above where it says [Debug]

[level name]
volume = 100
song = name of file, including the file type, i.e. music.mp3
driver = file type, i.e. mp3, mid, etc.

With the []'s put in between the name of your level. Note: Shortened names are better

So for example the level I made "Rising Towers" I put the following:

Code:

[Tower]
volume = 100
song = Rising.mp3
driver = mp3

then save the file

Following so far?

Step 3:

in each room you will see the following object: obj_musicplayer

Find that object, then while holding the "CTRL" key, left click on said object and click Creation code

You should see a line like the follwing:

Code:

scr_musicini("Tower",true,false,0)

See where I'm getting at?

Replace whatever is in between the "" 's with the name you gave your level, the one found in the ini file I told you to edit.

Now one last thing, the first true tells the game if it starts that music in that room, leave it "true" for the first room, "false" for the others.

Step 4:

Listen to your badass new track in your level and enjoy. :ttgl:
Posted Image

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Holy crap! Shodian, thanks dude! Yeah i was seriously having trouble figuring that out. I'm heading to 6 flags today so i can't stay to chat. BUt i may be back later tongiht. Either way the biggest issue i was having with an mp3 and i talked to obreck on it was about the numbers at the very bottom(looping numbers). Yeah the looping numbers i couldn't quite figure out. I apologize if i skim read over this but any suggestions? I'm really in a rush right now so i gotta leave in 10.

But say are you back on the tower level. Cause obreck wasn't sure your status and he asked me if i'd like to help you on it. I'm already doing atlantis though and even though i sent him a file, i'm probably gonna take it down cause i'm still retweaking things. Atlantis will be pretty sweet when done. The tower level looked pretty awesome too dude. Well eitehr way let me know what teh deal is. IF you are or aren't gonna be on the finishing of the tower stage. IF you are i may be able to move onto another level.

Oh one thing to mention game maker as of right now doesn't like foregrounds to start in teh same roome as your player. The screen turns black for some strange reason for a split sec. Ok Shodian and company i'll talk to you guys later

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Ok so i've come really far since that video i posted and though i can't seem to get a good quality video i am gonna temporarily post some pics of what it looks like. Overall i can say there may still be some slight changes i'd like to rework. But probably not to much. I remade another background pretty much the same as the old background but this one has the sun setting on the lake behind it(as shown in photo 2). I may even add a night time one. I'ts possible. THough i must admit keeping the backgrounds similar in this level seem very doable almost a must. With some good ideas from Reiko i was able to make put in some cool background walls and add some waterfall sprouts for the angel statues or whatever they are. Also the boss room is touched up a bit more with a cool ass fountain where you'd fight him once he's coded in(also pic 2). Here's some update pics:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not to mention Shodian's music tutorial worked like a charm! As an mp3 possible i have in the aquarius mp3 by the goat band. I really dig that one. Either way there's about 4 different versions of the song and probably others to choose from like:circle of the moon,dawn of sorrow, and harmony of despair. Harmony of despair's aquarius is a pretty cool version too!

Edited by Laslunder, Aug 5 2011, 04:30 PM.

reiko26
Member Avatar
Master Editor

looking even better man. this is mind boggling dude.

Nadoovi
Greenhorn
[ * ]
Wow, this stage looks much better.

The new background is really beautiful. I also like the walls in pictures 1 and 4.
However, I prefer the red color of the water (the part with the angel statue). You sould change the color back.

The new background you created gives me in idea, You should create two more background, daylight and night, and use the four backgrounds by this order:
At the beginning of the stage (minutes 00:00-03:42 in your video), the background is daylight, blue beautiful sky.
Than, after beating the mid boss (minutes 03:42-06:15 in your video), you use the original sunset background from Bloodlines.
At the part of the yellow buildings (minutes 09:30-12:36 in your video), the background is the new one you made, as shown in photo 2.
At the finish of the stage (minutes 12:36-13:09), when you fight the boss, you use the night background, so the tiles should be darker.
I like this order, Tell me what you think.

I find the song "Edge of the Sky" from OoE suitable for this stage:
[utube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAT50diA4fo[/utube]
But...if you want to use Aquarius specially, I think the remix from DoS is the best:
[utube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPNOThttAuI[/utube]
I don't recommend you to use rock remix such the powergoat one or the one from Harmony of Despair, because it doesn't fit the stage atmosphere.
Also, this remix is mice for this stage:
[utube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6aHXell_vk[/utube]

Laslunder
Member Avatar
Rock it Boy!!

Wow ok yeah i didnt' actually hear jorge's version. Definnetely the best imo, but i kinda disagree with Dawn of sorrow it's missing something. I don't know. Goat's version was pretty good imo. Kinda gives it that sotn edge to it like some levels should. But yeah i kinda feel like the level isn't dark enough for a metal song you know. Ah about the backgrounds. The room with the boss and the room before it i added a dark sky and a moon with a reflection. I made teh backgrounds super long cause obviously you won't be seeing the moon or sun twice while scrolling through a room. Unfortuently i kinda suck with coordiantes. And i'm uncertain as to why i haven't got to see the sun or moon in their respective backgorunds.

Well i gotta keep toying with it? But yeah theire the same background just 3 diffrent version of the day. Somewhat setting sun for the first few rooms, A setting blairing sun for the next few and for the last 2 rooms i got the moon out. It almost might be to much like i outta add a 4th one in. But i'm really not sure. Either way the rooms are twice as nice as they were in the video. I'm sorta lazy right now and would prefer at the moment to not shoot a crappy quality video with no sound. But yeah maybe i'll post a pic of the nighttime with the moon. Picture 2 should have the moon and a darker background now.
Edited by Laslunder, Aug 7 2011, 12:09 AM.

TheomanZero
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I don't know if you heard, but the forum is moving, so you should move this topic to the new one.

EvilMariobot
Member Avatar
So, who want's an ICBM?
[ *  *  *  * ]
Also, I'd make a personal WIP topic rather than have a new one for every level you make.
Skin Mods:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Super Castlevania 3 · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Hosted for free by ZetaBoards
Skin based on BoHeGeHa by OverTheBelow (IFSZ)