Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Royals Rendezvous Statement
Royals Rendezvous has moved to a new location, please go to royalsrendezvous.co.uk to continue the discussion.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thames Valley Weather & Traffic News
Topic Started: 19 Oct 2012, 02:55 PM (12,254 Views)
daib0
Member Avatar
Inter-Forum Gamemaster!
WINNERSH



BBC News Berkshire



Flooded Loddon Bridge park and ride stays closed

A flooded park and ride site in Berkshire will remain closed for the rest of the day.

The Loddon Bridge site in Winnersh, which has a history of shutting after heavy rainfall, has been affected again this week.

Wokingham council said it hoped it would reopen on Saturday but with more rain forecast this could be revised.

On Thursday, motorists across Berkshire endured travel delays after heavy rainfall caused flooding on some roads.

By mid-morning the B4494 Oxford Road in Newbury was barely passable between the Grove Road and Love Lane junctions.

Sandford Lane in Woodley and Emmbrook Road in Wokingham were also closed for a time.

Flood alerts have been issued for Lower River Loddon, the River Pang and the River Blackwater at Swallowfield.


Posted Image
Royals Rendezvous - a specialist and friendly Reading FC fan forum
Cello man... VIDEO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEVmGOEMJLE&t=12s Please share !
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Replies:
daib0
Member Avatar
Inter-Forum Gamemaster!
Wraysbury residents say Jubilee River is a 'disaster'

Work by the Environment Agency to control flood water on the Thames has been a "disaster" for Wraysbury, according to residents. The £110m Jubilee River opened in 2002, and was planned to reduce flooding in Maidenhead, Windsor, Eton and Cookham.

Wraysbury and Old Windsor residents say it has caused more homes to flood since it opened. The agency said the scheme was working as planned and it may extend the river to protect more flood-prone areas.

Graham Sinclair, who lives in Wraysbury, said his neighbours were "very angry".
"It's grossly unfair that a man-made river can be to the benefit of some people and to the detriment of others," he said.

Flood warden Gillie Bolton who lives on Ham Island in Old Windsor, said: "I believe we are being used as sacrificial lambs to stop Maidenhead from flooding."

However, the Environment Agency says the Jubilee River has worked well to protect Maidenhead and Eton. The Environment Agency's Barry Russell said a review had been held following similar floods in 2003, which found the Jubilee River was operating as planned. He said the agency planned to extend the scheme to protect Wraysbury and Old Windsor in the future, but this would cost £256m.

"We have very extensive plans to continue the Jubilee River all the way down from Datchet down to Teddington. It's very expensive but it's got huge support," he said



Jubilee River

In flood conditions the Jubilee River diverts water from the River Thames upstream of Maidenhead
This reduces flood levels in the River Thames running through Maidenhead, Windsor, Eton and Cookham
The Jubilee River rejoins the Thames downstream of Windsor, and does not provide protection to communities downstream of the scheme
The Environment Agency states the Jubilee River does not adversely affect flood levels downstream
The Jubilee River has been running at full capacity since 7 January
This is the first time the Jubilee River has run at full capacity since it was opened in 2002
Royals Rendezvous - a specialist and friendly Reading FC fan forum
Cello man... VIDEO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEVmGOEMJLE&t=12s Please share !
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
daib0
Member Avatar
Inter-Forum Gamemaster!
Five vehicles are involved in a serious crash on the M4 when cars hit a horse running across the carriageway


A number of vehicles were involved in a serious crash on the M4 after cars hit a horse running across the carriageway.

The M4 was briefly closed eastbound between junctions 14, Hungerford, and 15, Swindon East, after the smash near Membury Services at about 04:45 GMT.

Thames Valley Police said the crash involved five vehicles, including a van which overturned. The male driver was freed by fire-fighters and taken to hospital. The horse died at the scene.

Police confirmed no-one else was injured and said the van driver is not thought to have life-threatening injuries.

A spokesman said the motorway had now reopened, but vehicles were still being diverted off and back on to the carriageway through the service area.

BBC News Berkshire
Royals Rendezvous - a specialist and friendly Reading FC fan forum
Cello man... VIDEO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEVmGOEMJLE&t=12s Please share !
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
daib0
Member Avatar
Inter-Forum Gamemaster!
BBC News Berkshire


Flooding sparks new River Thames bridge talks

Discussions into plans for a new road bridge across the River Thames at Reading have reopened.
Plans for a third bridge from Caversham to Reading were last mooted in 2007 but were shelved due to a lack of funding.

Pressure for a new bridge is now growing following a week of long delays after flooding closed Sonning Bridge. However, some residents and councils are concerned a new bridge would lead to high levels of traffic through South Oxfordshire. Plans for a new bridge first surfaced in the 1960s.

More than 1,000 people have now signed a petition for a third bridge to be built in Reading, connecting the A329M to Caversham.Rob Wilson, Reading East MP, has welcomed the idea and estimates the cost would be up to £100m. He added Reading was the "powerhouse" of the Thames Valley region and said "we have to make sure that Reading is successful".

Mayor of Henley Stefan Gawrysiak said a new bridge would help ease "major traffic problems" in Henley-on-Thames. However, Henley MP John Howell said there was still "a lot of opposition" to the proposals.

Reading Borough Council has blamed the failure of earlier attempts for a third bridge on Oxfordshire County Council and South Oxfordshire District Council. Councillor Tony Page, deputy leader of Reading Borough Council, said the two authorities were "implacably set against it". He added a new bridge would act as a "relief" for the existing Caversham, Reading and Sonning bridges.

Ian Hudspeth, leader of Oxfordshire County Council, described Mr Page's suggestion as "disingenuous". He said one concern was plans "would open up the A4074 as a cut through from Oxford to the M4". However, he added he was willing to reopen talks to "find a solution that best suits everybody".

South Oxfordshire District Council said a new bridge would bring "an unacceptable amount" of traffic in to the area. In a statement, it added it recognised alternatives needed to be explored and said it would continue to work with local authorities on both sides of the river. "Given that the recent Sonning Bridge closure resulted from flooding, we would expect the emphasis to be placed on flood alleviation rather than making changes to the transport network," it added.


Royals Rendezvous - a specialist and friendly Reading FC fan forum
Cello man... VIDEO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEVmGOEMJLE&t=12s Please share !
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
daib0
Member Avatar
Inter-Forum Gamemaster!
Reading Chronicle ‏@rdgchronicle · 26 min
TRAFFIC UPDATE: 20 minute delays on M4 eastbound after earlier car fire

Royals Rendezvous - a specialist and friendly Reading FC fan forum
Cello man... VIDEO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEVmGOEMJLE&t=12s Please share !
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
daib0
Member Avatar
Inter-Forum Gamemaster!
BBC News Berkshire


Flooded Sonning Bridge Thames crossing to reopen

Sonning Bridge, which crosses the River Thames near Caversham, is to partially reopen after flooding forced its closure for nearly two weeks.

Oxfordshire County Council said the commuter route, linking Berkshire and Oxfordshire, will not open fully because the road has been damaged.

The route is expected be open by Monday morning but traffic lights will be in place while the damage is repaired.

More than 1,000 people have signed a petition for a third bridge in Reading.

Support for the new crossing has been growing after the closure caused long delays at Henley and Reading.

Oxfordshire's transport councillor David Nimmo-Smith said council officers would be setting up temporary traffic lights and assessing the damage on the northern end of the bridge over the weekend.

The authority is also looking at ways to alleviate flooding in the area to prevent the bridge being closed again.

The bridge closed on 6 January.



Royals Rendezvous - a specialist and friendly Reading FC fan forum
Cello man... VIDEO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEVmGOEMJLE&t=12s Please share !
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hayes
Member Avatar

The deluge we were promised yesterday never happened,so the threat may have gone away.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/www.readingfc.co.uk/?ref=bookmarks
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
daib0
Member Avatar
Inter-Forum Gamemaster!
TWEET


Reading Chronicle ‏@rdgchronicle · 9 min
The Met Office has issued fog warnings at the yellow level for tomorrow morning in the south east. Use your fog lights and drive safely.




Royals Rendezvous - a specialist and friendly Reading FC fan forum
Cello man... VIDEO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEVmGOEMJLE&t=12s Please share !
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
daib0
Member Avatar
Inter-Forum Gamemaster!
Get Reading ‏@getreading · 11 min
Breaking good news: Sonning Bridge has re-opened, but temporary traffic lights are in place.



Royals Rendezvous - a specialist and friendly Reading FC fan forum
Cello man... VIDEO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEVmGOEMJLE&t=12s Please share !
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Hayes
Member Avatar


Driver's victory over road cams




Published: 25 Jan 2014 08:00

A MOTORIST claiming victory over Reading’s feared traffic cameras is calling for hundreds of penalised drivers to get their money back.


This is what the road looked like before it was repainted in November.


Jubilant motorist Lewis Davis has condemned the cameras overlooking town centre bus lanes as a “money making scheme” after winning an appeal against Reading Borough Council.

This week a traffic commissioner opened the way to appeals from other motorists who have made the same mistake when he ripped up a £60 ticket issued to Mr Davis last August for crossing the London Street bus gate - because road surface markings were unclear.

In the last two years 1,330 drivers have been caught out by the 30ft wide hatching, which prohibits cars entering the strip of road where the IDR crosses London Street.

Mr Davis told The Chronicle: “For me it’s a trap. The fines are a hell of a lot of money and it’s just a money making scheme. I hope other people who were caught out there around the same time as me ask the council for their money back because the tickets they were issuing aren’t legal.

“I saw a car ahead of me going up London Street so I thought I could go straight across. I didn’t even realise I’d done it until the letter came through. Why can’t cars go straight on there anyway?”

The 29-year-old debt manager, from Egham, Surrey, was snapped on August 16 when he got lost after visiting Reading County Court. Council officers twice rebuffed his pleas before going to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. When The Chronicle inspected the site on Tuesday, lane markings had been repainted.

Adjudicator Stephen Knapp described the bus gate warning signs as “inadequate” and said: “The carriageway markings were in poor condition. I recognise that a carriageway marking does not have to be in perfect condition but it is a question of fact in each case whether it is sufficiently clear for the driver to reasonably understand the restriction.”

Council spokesman Oscar Mortali said: “Whilst the council accepts lines may have faded, it is satisfied all signage was in accordance with national regulations. In fact, the decision is in direct contradiction to another Adjudicator Service decision on this same bus lane, for a fine issued just one month previously.

“The council therefore finds itself, not for the first time, in a position where the Adjudication Service is making inconsistent decisions about the adequacy of the signs/lines in bus lanes.

“All roads signs fade over time, but signage is regularly reviewed and, where necessary, refreshed as part of the council’s duty as a responsible highways authority.”

Robert Oxley, campaign director of the TaxPayers’ Alliance said: “It’s no wonder this fine has been overturned when councils treat drivers as cash cows rather than making the markings clear.”

https://www.facebook.com/groups/www.readingfc.co.uk/?ref=bookmarks
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
daib0
Member Avatar
Inter-Forum Gamemaster!
Not strictly Thames Valley but ...

Posted Image

Royals Rendezvous - a specialist and friendly Reading FC fan forum
Cello man... VIDEO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEVmGOEMJLE&t=12s Please share !
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Local Issues · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Royals Rendezvous - 2013-16