Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Console - Negative influence to PC; discussion
Topic Started: Jul 19 2010, 07:30 AM (342 Views)
VaLkyR_Anubis
Member Avatar
Quantum Velocity
[ *  *  * ]
For some time, I read more and more articles and informations on the internet, that the consoles are kinda ruining the PC apparently. What do you think about this thing? Do you think it is true and real or does somebody has a lot of fun to spread stupid rumours? Your opinion counts! :)
Edited by VaLkyR_Anubis, Jul 19 2010, 07:32 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

valkyrdeath
Member Avatar
Reaper
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The console has certainly had negative effects on PC gaming in some ways, but it's not all bad and the down side can be exaggerated. One of the main problems isn't so much with consoles, it's with the developers doing lazy buggy ports to the PC that are virtually unplayable. There's no reason it has to be this way.

The console has definitely ruined a lot of games by limiting the save game system. Pretty much all PC games used to let you save wherever you wanted, but as more and more games were made for consoles, ridiculous checkpoint systems started appearing more and more, turning many games from fun into frustration. There's no reason this should still be happening, since consoles now have hard drives and can easily cope with proper save games, but the developers seem to be stuck in a rut.

On the other hand, consoles are a fixed platform. The PC is always going to be at the cutting edge when fitted with the latest upgrades, and games like Crysis will continue to set benchmarks. But there's something to be said for the fast that the multiplatform nature of many games has stabilised the system requirements a bit and stopped the technology racing away to the extent that our computers end up outdated within 6 months of buying them, as used to be the case.

In the end, PCs are PCs and consoles are consoles, two different things each valid in their own way. While the lazy ports often get on my nerves, I don't see why there has to be the ridiculous level of fighting between PC gamers and console gamers that I've seen at times.

valkyrassassin
Member Avatar
Boss
[ *  *  * ]
^ pretty much wrapped it up :P

VaLkyR_Anubis
Member Avatar
Quantum Velocity
[ *  *  * ]
Mamma Mia, Death! Good points! Good points! :)

All what you have written there is very true and reflects the reality! The only thing I dislike is, that many games need better hardware on Pc than on console, but the quality is not different or better, it is almost the same thing. Nowadays, people put DX11 in their game and then they got a difference, Tessellation, but that's not all, what we want.

After all, what I have seen so far and many games are just one things and nothing else. Once you have played them through, they are kinda boring and old. Good games like in the past, are really something unique and probably won't happen ever again.

In the past, people probably had a certain passion for making games, but nowadays people just wanna earn money and don't wanna make quality, but it seems so, coz tell me, how many new games are really something, that can be interesting for a long time. Not that many, aye.

The last game I have bought was Serious Sam HD Second Encounter and when I take a look at the current situtation, I don't buy any new games, coz it might be possible, that you waste your money for nothing. I prefer to save my money for something better.

Of course, in the past, when people didn't make multiplatform games so often, they were boring games as well, but today, they get more and more. We got a fuck load of power in our PC, but not that many games do need this power. There are some games, which need such a power, but often, those games aren't well optimized for the hardware. E.g. Crysis is also not well-optimized, so to speak, it eats your hardware.

PC and console have their own franchise today and that's a fact, you cannot change that, we gotta accept it. Anyway, PC gamers and console gamers have to tolerate each other and not to blame each other. We already got enough intolerance in our world, so we don't need it in this business.

valkyrdeath
Member Avatar
Reaper
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
VaLkyR_Anubis
Jul 20 2010, 08:39 AM
The only thing I dislike is, that many games need better hardware on Pc than on console, but the quality is not different or better, it is almost the same thing.
That's a major problem with the laziness of most console ports. Rather than spend the time to make the game work efficiently on the PC, they just rush it out with the minimum amount of work to make it run on the PC. So we end up with shoddy barely working versions of console games. GTA4 is the best example of this. Even with my new HD5850 graphics card and 6gb of RAM, it still doesn't want to let me run it at max settings. And this for a game that looked rather dated even when it came out, on a system that can run Crysis without slowdown. We shouldn't have to put up with this stuff.

VaLkyR_Anubis
Member Avatar
Quantum Velocity
[ *  *  * ]
Damn straight, Death! People are too lazy and we have to pay for their stupid behaviour! That's why I don't buy too many or no games anymore, coz on one side, they don't interest me and they might be not optimized for something, so you need much power for nothing. As you can see, Crysis is a PC game and not multiplatform thing, like GTA4, but many other people have the same trouble. Having enough power for everything, but GTA4 is too much, hehe.

You know, my brother plays a lot Battlefield Bad Company 2 for some time and it makes a lot of fun to watch him, but the performance is weird. The game doesn't has so great looking textures, very often not-detailed or blurry and so, even terrible, but he gotta fps rate of 50 only. He made a test and set everything to minimum and there the game didn't look that very different. But I guess, the problem are the particle effects in that game, coz always when there is or are particle(s), the fps rate goes a bit down. Seems like those particles are too fat. This game is also multiplatform and sometimes, he really hase the impression, that this game was too much designed for console.

valkyrdeath
Member Avatar
Reaper
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Since the first Battlefield: Bad Company was never even released for PC, I'm pretty sure the PC was an afterthought for that game.

VaLkyR_Anubis
Member Avatar
Quantum Velocity
[ *  *  * ]
Yeah it seems so! However, according to latest statements, it seems that DICE gonna release the maps of the first Bad Company game for the second game, dunno if this is right, but oh well. I don't play this game, coz there are too many cheaters and selfish gamers.

Nowadays games get made for all platforms and very often, there aren't that huge differences between PC and console version, except hardware requirements. However, the producers of new games implement the DX11 features and then they claim that the PC and console game look different. Sure, it does, but there are only more polygons, but textures and effects are pretty the same quality. Ok on PC you still got PhysX, but not every game supports this stuff.

All in one, it doesn't matter if there are consoles or not, coz at least, the producers decide about their games, if they are multiplatform or not.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Console Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply